support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Interesting alternative visualisation of rhythm

Droptical

Locality
London
Not sure if this is in the right section, but I came across this today and thought I'd share since I figure others might enjoy too:

For me, I found it interesting on various levels: repeated constructs across different cultures; relationships between different constructs (i.e the "rotate this through 90°" bits); and, particularly as someone who never really learned to read (and finds the concept of when a note should start being a function of when the notes or special non-notes that precede it happen to end a really weird way of defining rhythm), I found this visual representation is much closer to what I think is going on in my head when I play.

Sorry, but i thought it was B.S.

The wheel has already been invented. This guy is just looking for a different version of the wheel, possibly to back up some academic paper.

But the original version works, and is easier to understand.

This is hugely complex and vague in its explanation. Try getting someone to use this stuff on a practical musical level.

Sorry... pretentious nonsense

Hehe, don't hold back; say what you really think. :)

In terms of practical application the thought occurs that this is not entirely dissimilar to the 'piano roll' representation which has been rather popular since the advent of MIDI & sequencers etc., and it doesn't seem hard to imagine a representation along these lines working quite well in that context, e.g. for defining and adjusting looped rhythmic patterns/drums - and arguably, for some people, better than traditional notation.
(How do you score a rhythm which accurately captures a slightly pushed or lazy feel? This is a genuine question; short of writing "play with a pushed feel" or similar at the top is it possible without resorting to a nest of tied hemisemidemiquavers?)

Given the circular representation it's unclear if you're referring to another, similar, system with "the wheel has already been invented" or regular notation, but I guess the latter - so sure, you probably wouldn't want to use this particular idea for writing out or reading Bird solos, but given the availability of things like iPads/tablets which are already actively used by many musicians to read score in live band settings, personally, I don't think I'd bet against some form of incremental change in representation due to the day's available technology; not unlike how a "minim" is no longer the shortest duration note anyone writes.

To abuse your analogy - wheels are awesome, but pneumatic tyres and the internal combustion engine certainly made life more pleasant for a lot of folk.

Anyway, sorry if my posting that video has somehow caused you offence, but I hope it's clear that wasn't the intention - like I said, it was interesting to me and I thought, perhaps, to others too.

Anyway, sorry if my posting that video has somehow caused you offence, but I hope it's clear that wasn't the intention - like I said, it was interesting to me and I thought, perhaps, to others too.

no offence taken at all. and i wasnt having a go at you in the slightest.

i just didnt like the thinking behind this guys video.

Others may like it, though.

Last edited by a moderator: