support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Inside top loop of a bari

There is a pull through which has a long cord and a ball weight attachment rather fiddly as it involves inverting twisting uprighting and inverting again to get the weight to drop out of the sax (work it out). the bari is not the lightest of instrments and one false move could be fatal. The other is a long approx 2ft push through & pull back silk covered foam metal reinforced device made by Hodge best left in place for a minute or so after playing when retrieved it is usually sodden through the only down side is that it occasionally causes panic when it gets caught ? on the octave vents but I've never had the misfortune (yet) to get it stuck permanently.

(she tried to get on the forum - just as the servers were being moved, so I thought I'd post for her)

Suggestions, any bari players out there?

Please ask her to try again, it's all done now bar the shouting.

The only way is a pull through and the determination to make it go round the bend. Bit of a puzzle.

And to be honest I don't bother.

I still think a mouse, soaked in Detol.

Poke him or her in one end with a lump of cheese at the other.

Or a stoat/weasel/meerkat type animal. The would go nicely round the bend.

Ah. that's why Pete has such an animal at the top of the page.

Judging by the image at the top of the page, Pete has taken the time to get his stoat addicted to caffeine then he temps the thing through his horn with an espresso.

A mole might work with a baritone. They can go as fast backwards as forwards so you could get a good scrubbing action going.

Whar about a snake in a sock

I need a lie down

mamos

I still think a mouse, soaked in Detol.

Poke him or her in one end with a lump of cheese at the other.

Or a stoat/weasel/meerkat type animal. The would go nicely round the bend.

mamos
genius! though technically you need an animal that gets bigger as it goes down the conical bore! there-in lies the challenge! or maybe something exceedingly fluffy?

Bari cleaning

If you carefully remove the top F key you will have a little port-hole to help you wiggle a pull-through round the curly bit. This really doesn't neeed doing very often - I once spoke to someone who had just got a bari from a school and they removed a load of gunk from it, but otherwise I wouldn't worry too much about it. Incidentaly, the guy with the ex-school bari also used a long and flexible bottle brush from a home brew company, again with the top F key out to give ease of access.

genius! though technically you need an animal that gets bigger as it goes down the conical bore! there-in lies the challenge! or maybe something exceedingly fluffy?

I guess strategic placement of the cheese at points along the tube (perhaps in increasing levels of fat content) would ensure it grows bigger as it works it way along.

Could take a few weeks, or months, before it finds it's way out, so maybe it's not a daily routine.

I wouldn't bother, although I like the rodent idea, what you could do is a reenactment of the old swallow a spider to catch a fly trick. send a spider down followed by gradually larger rodents and finish off with a jack russell. Somewhere along the line a bendy ferrit would work and just as the spider pokes his head out the receiver, put the neck on an go for a low A fff!

Done job.:welldone

In case anyone's still thinking about using animals, don't use frogs. Advantage is that they quite like the moisture. Disavantages are that they aren't furry and they aren't very good in pipes. I've spent this afternoon cleaning the pond filters and foumd two frogs in a section of flexible pipe aboutt he diameter of a bari loop - both very dead. Moral: always check your sax for dead frogs.

Welcome to the land of sensible answers

Glad you could make it

Remember to remove ang cleaning rodents from the instrument before playing any gigs

You don't want to surprise the front row:w00t:

mamos

Thanks for the advice Mamos: I'll remember to be ready to duck the flying rodents next time we're playing...

I wouldn't bother either, most baritones nowadays have a waterkey/spit valve fitted on the bottom bow of the pig tail. just make sure you drain off the condensation that will gather there by either using the waterkey regularly or if you dont have a waterkey, removing the crook and turnin the iinstrument upside down.

you could also take preventative measures like not eating/ drinking/smoking immediately before playing. iF yo udo have to do the above then give your teeth a brush and mouth a rince with clean water beofre playing to minimise the gunk getting in there in the first place.