support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Inherited Sax, Please help me identify this!

elastictyrant

This is an old alto sax I recently inherited. I know next to nothing about saxophones, and upon attempting internet research I was stymied by a lack of technical knowledge and some confusing info about Reynolds sax's in general. Here's what I know...

The front reads:

F A Reynolds
COMPANY INC.
CLEVELAND-O.

The Serial # on the back is 31001.
I do have pictures.
Can someone help me figure out what I have here? Thx!!!

You might well have a Martin stencil,i seem to have remembered reading something on the net a while back.

Checkout www.saxpics.com there might be some info there.

Brian

As Brian said, it probably is a Martin stencil. Have a look at this site: http://www.saxpics.com/?v=info&p=stencil. Check out the "Martin made". From the serial numbers on this site it seems like your sax is from 1922 or 1923.

Very likely to be a stencil of some other maker. Only pictures can help (or a visit to a knowledgeable person)

soldered tone holes can be a good clue for a Martin stencil

As Brian said, it probably is a Martin stencil. Have a look at this site: http://www.saxpics.com/?v=info&p=stencil. Check out the "Martin made". From the serial numbers on this site it seems like your sax is from 1922 or 1923.

In fact the Serial number dates it to 1952 - check the www.contemporacorner.com website. Or 1957 if www.musictrader.com is to be believed.FA Reynolds primarily produced Brass Instruments (I have a Reynolds Argenta Bb Trumpet with a 6**** serial number (1961) but they also collaborated with FE Olds. In a SOTW discussion ("Reynolds Contempora RMC 1964" ) it is thought that it might be a Buescher 20A FWIW. I would go with a Martin personally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops - lots of different possibilities coming up.

I also found a link that siad some of the Reynolds saxes were made by SML, a well respected French maker.

Couple of points on the serial numbers:

1 - Big makers didn't always put their own serial numbers on stencils.
2 - Some saxes (like the Buescher 20A) had their own serial numbers which may or may not be documented on the web (20A is not documented, for instance)

Only real way to tell is going to be to show us the pics, and then there are no guarantees, sorry.

We want pics
We want pics
We want pics

Its fun when there is something to get your teeth into......The prices seem to be quoted in US as about $300 - $500 for such a sax.

Even the Serial number issue does not seem that straightforward as early 1960's seems an option too.

Its exciting..........................................:shocked::w00t::shocked::w00t:;}

We want pics
We want pics
We want pics

Its fun when there is something to get your teeth into......The prices seem to be quoted in US as about $300 - $500 for such a sax.

Even the Serial number issue does not seem that straightforward as early 1960's seems an option too.

Its exciting..........................................:shocked::w00t::shocked::w00t:;}

Nurse...;}

Yes it's seeems to be a Martin made sax. I think it's a sax from the 50' or early 60's. It has bevelled toneholes. I think Martin droped that in the 30's. Otherwise I think it's "Indiana standard". Looks like an Imperial or Medalist model.

I'd go with the diagnosis there - Martin Indiana stencil. You can clearly see the bevelled tone hole in pic 3 and the guard over the bell keys looks right. LH little finger keys are difficult to see on your shot, but the look like a Committee II.

However I'd discount the comments about age - the committee II had pressed steel guards and that was earlier then the 'The Martin' which had wire guards. Saxpics.com gives a serial number list for the indianas (they had their own range) and this appears to be a reasonably early one. Should be a good player and sound great....

I was going to say that there's a comm II on saxpics with steel guards....
But when I looked closer, after your comment, I see it's wire with pieces of plate added, like the others.

Mea Culpa, thanks for the correction!

I haven't even dusted this horn off yet. I didn't want to do more damage than good. Any suggestions for cleaning this? Ultimately, I am a string player (bass by profession), so I may want to sell this sax. Any input on pricing and placement would be most appreciated too. Thank all of you for your kindness and help.

Back
Top Bottom