All profit supporting   special needs music

Improvised vs Rehearsed Solos

s.mundi

s.mundi

Locality
Texas Gulf Coast
Last night, we performed James Brown's "Try Me" and I played the extremely simple rehearsed solo as done on JB's track. The tune was a success because the clients were dancing.

Iain

Iain

Locality
Helsiki Finland
Louis Armstrong once stated that me memorised the solos he had played on his records because these were the solos his audiences expected to hear.

MikeMorrell

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Café Supporter
Locality
Breda
I missed this this thread in 2020 and I just noticed it through the recent post by @Iain. I've also not trawled through previous posts so forgive me if I'm just repeating a previous post!

I've never played in a 'Tribute Band' but I can well imagine that 'Tribute Band' audiences still want to hear 'iconic' sax solos. On the other hand (as host for this week's BOTM), I note that 'iconic sax solo's' for each song change over the years.

Now for something completely different:
I play exclusively in (amateur) Big Bands and I play a couple of solo's, some of which are written out. I learned early on not to play written out solos but instead just improvise on them. I've found that the written out solos -for me - are restrictive: they are often not what I'd usually play, I often don't have any musical 'feel' for them and - perhaps most importantly - they often require technical skills that I just don't have. So I just improvise a 'musical alternative'. So far, so good :)

Veggie Dave

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
Locality
Citizen of Nowhere
I play exclusively in (amateur) Big Bands and I play a couple of solo's, some of which are written out. I learned early on not to play written out solos but instead just improvise on them. I've found that the written out solos -for me - are restrictive: they are often not what I'd usually play, I often don't have any musical 'feel' for them and - perhaps most importantly - they often require technical skills that I just don't have. :)

Imagine what your playing would be like today if you had worked on those solos that weren't in your personal style and were technically very challenging. ;)

That was a lesson I learned over lockdown when I was asked numerous times to play stuff that I really, really would never had played out of choice. I think it was one of the best things I ever did for my playing.

MikeMorrell

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Café Supporter
Locality
Breda
Point taken, @Veggie Dave and there is indeed a lot to be said for playing outside of your 'comfort zone'.