Immature Mature from West Wales!

TomMapfumo

Hi SS!

I'm just along in Swansea. I was in contact with Woody a while ago, and then nothing, so not sure what he is up to. The nearest private sax teacher I can find to you is Jacqueline Brown in Ferryside, Carmarthenshire - admittedly miles away. The website is
www.musicteachers.co.uk which is very helpful. When I started playing sax I went to Cardiff for lessons, so it is not easy to find a teacher that far west. If you are ever down this way I'd be happy to offer some support etc. about playing. A very helpful tutor book is "The Jazz Method for Also Saxophone" by John O'Neill - about £14, and includes CD and answers lots of basic questions. It is better if you can find a teacher obviously. I can ask around to see if any of my local sax playing friends know someone out that way that could help and let you know.

Regarding a Cranes sax we all have to start somewhere. The important thing is that you have a good mouthpiece as the ones that usually come with a sax are often badly made - look like a mouthpiece but can be very hard to play. We often recommend a Rico Royal B3, a Yamaha 4C or 5C, or a Runyon 22 tip #5 or #6 - all of which should be about £30 or less.

Funnily enough I was at a concert in St.Davids Cathedral a week ago, listening to my favourite sax player Jan Garbarek - who incidentally was self taught, so don't lose hope. Also there are several people who do online lessons using Skype etc. which may be helpful.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. As Kev suggests it would be good to introduce yourself via the "DoorBell" section of the forum, so that you have your own identity here.

Kind regards
Tom

TomMapfumo

Woodwind teacher found in Tenby.......!

Hi saxysax!

I have found a teacher in Tenby. Mrs Miranda Barratt - she is on the www.musicteachers.co.uk website - if you just press search and then just click on "teachers" and also "Wales Dyfed" where there is quite a list. She is mainly trained in oboe/cor anglais but does include saxophone in her list. She costs £10 per 30 mins, £20 per 60 mins.

Hope this helps
Tom

OP
U

ukwoody

Well, I wasn't here, but am again now thanks to an email about this thread, so Hi and I guess yes I am, Saxysax, haha.

About 18 months ago I developed a chronic throat infection that then went down onto my chest. I literally couldnt blow the sax properly for about 7 or 8 months, I was that ill. Then one thing led to another and you know what it's like, the sax (actually two as I bought a Buffet Crampton Tenor in the meantime (sorry going from memory here so name may be tad wrong) went into a cupboard and has stayed there. That said, I actually dug them out last week with the intention of picking them up again, but havent had chance due to getting engaged last weekend. So, I'm off on holiday for a week, then I intend to restart!.

Nice to see TomMapfumo still here.
Saxysax, Welcome along, thanks for emabarresing me into having to start playing again - it will do me good. There is also teacher in Herbrandston/hubberston area, but I've lost his details at the mo. Good luck with your playing, and nice to see another "local" on here.

Woody

TomMapfumo

Hi Woody!

I still have your CD waiting here. I am glad that you are still alive and hope that the sax gets back into use after your diffcult time.
Congratualtions on your engagement! I enjoyed all three of mine, but have not had one for about 23 years. Still, there's still time.....:shocked::w00t:;}

Kind regards
Tom

saxysax

Hi saxysax!

I have found a teacher in Tenby. Mrs Miranda Barratt - she is on the www.musicteachers.co.uk website - if you just press search and then just click on "teachers" and also "Wales Dyfed" where there is quite a list. She is mainly trained in oboe/cor anglais but does include saxophone in her list. She costs £10 per 30 mins, £20 per 60 mins.

Hope this helps
Tom
Thanks for that, Tom, but she can't take me on. I work stupid hours (3 days on-call/3 days off - rolling rota)and she will only consider somebody who can attend at the same time every week.

I'm pinning all my hopes on the Ferryside one - an email has been sent. Unless the newly engaged Woody can recall the Herbranston/Hubberston details.

And, hey Woody! If ever you need further prompting just shout. Did you hear me from over the water today?

Last edited by a moderator:

tiritiuk

Welcome ukwoody,
You got enough encouraging words from veterans that begun playing sax being a bit mature.
I started 5 months ago with 43..and no worries about it. We still have a couple of couples of decades to enjoy if world doesn´t come to finish by then
happy blowing!

Top Bottom