support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner I was doing well until I had my first lesson

...but were they any good?

My one and only tutor is a pro saxophonist, and I found him to be excellent, for my needs:

Any good yes,but whats good to you may differ from me,take a look at climax blues band sax player CHRIS(BEE BEE )ALDRIDGE sure suited my needs and suited gary barlow who needed a sax player and given a 1 hour notice.

One of the greatest benefits to working with an accomplished teacher when starting out is to learn correct fundamentals and playing habits right from the start in all aspects of playing the saxophone. "Unlearning" bad habits takes longer and is more difficult than doing it right the first time. I used to recommend "Smart Music" but they have switched to midi tracks to play along with rather than recordings of real musicians. There are other resources where one can "play along" with a professional player on one track and then play with the "backing track" alone on another. One that has been around for a long time is "Music Minus One". When one doesn't have the opportunity to play with players better than yourself in an ensemble, or to take one on one lessons from a good teacher, learning to play listening to recordings is the next best method.

One of the greatest benefits to working with an accomplished teacher when starting out is to learn correct fundamentals and playing habits right from the start in all aspects of playing the saxophone. "Unlearning" bad habits takes longer and is more difficult than doing it right the first time. I used to recommend "Smart Music" but they have switched to midi tracks to play along with rather than recordings of real musicians. There are other resources where one can "play along" with a professional player on one track and then play with the "backing track" alone on another. One that has been around for a long time is "Music Minus One". When one doesn't have the opportunity to play with players better than yourself in an ensemble, or to take one on one lessons from a good teacher, learning to play listening to recordings is the next best method.
I’m totally with you, but there is genre of music which eschews formality in learning, and is pretty successful as a result. Jimmy Hendrix for instance never had a guitar lesson, and would have played like Burt Weedon if he did!
I’m pretty sure the early be-boppers and many others were like that.

I’m totally with you, but there is genre of music which eschews formality in learning, and is pretty successful as a result. Jimmy Hendrix for instance never had a guitar lesson, and would have played like Burt Weedon if he did!
I’m pretty sure the early be-boppers and many others were like that.
There is a vast difference between woodwinds and brass and keyboards and guitars. In the first group, tone production is dependent upon the skill of the players if they have good equipment. In the second group the tone production is done by the instrument itself. I agree that learning to play "music" in a given style can be accomplished by a gifted player on his/her own. However with a few notable exceptions like Louis Armstrong the vast majority of players have benefited from their teacher(s) help in learning to play the instrument itself.

It's a big step to take plunging into the midst of a band and showing them what you've got... well I think so. I think the cafe has tried to set up a map system before, where members here might contact local players to see if they fancy a get together. Might be less intimidating. I've met up with another pro player here for a tootle and that was OK. I can well see the benefits of being thrown in at the deep end though.

Sack the teacher. You seem to have got music sorted out but maybe not the taming of the instrument just yet. Find a few sax players who are happy to help. Biggest boost I got was playing with a sax choir where I got plenty of hints, tips, laughs and encouragement. You can’t beat just playing at home, simple tunes and getting your eye and ear into calibration. Embouchure is king, read around about forming the basic V shape, stick to softer reeds to start with - it’s playing music, not weight lifting and the mouth muscles are small and need time to strengthen and develop the skills. Be patient, it’ll click if you put in the time and ask those who play.

It's a big step to take plunging into the midst of a band and showing them what you've got... well I think so. I think the cafe has tried to set up a map system before, where members here might contact local players to see if they fancy a get together. Might be less intimidating. I've met up with another pro player here for a tootle and that was OK. I can well see the benefits of being thrown in at the deep end though.
It depends why you play. Applause is addictive and inspires harder work. Playing to a paying audience really focuses the mind and lifts the spirit.
Some enjoy the social side and have no desire to perform.
I wanted to be Paul Desmond and fill stadiums. I'm happy to not empty the pub these days.

Lots of good advice has already been given. It would be a great pity if this teacher has destroyed your desire to play the sax. There are many great teachers out there and should you choose to have another face-to-face lesson somebody on this forum may be able to offer a suggestion for a local or online teacher. There are also some good resources online such as Better Sax, Sax School, and Saxophone Academy. I hope you get your va-va-voom back and find some joy in your saxophone.
Sounds like "Jamie Anderson" on YouTube is more your style, check him out.

I had a teacher in mid 90’s, and due to work commitments (military), my Tues evening lessons sometimes went awry yet I kept up with my own practising. After a few weeks I was told not to bother, as I was doing ok on my own, and that has affected me taking the plunge ever since. It’s also affected me in that I tend to avoid interaction with other like minded people probably for fear of rejection or acceptance. still a beginner ever since.

CS website and Jamie Anderson have helped with my continued practice routine. Dan Forshaw was ok for a time but I follow Dr Wally Sax Academy and McGill Music School too. Some sites go a little A Level too soon and lose me and I’d love nothing else to play anything without music notation and also improvise but reality is important and this instrument takes time and solid practice to progress. Slow is the key and I believe in the practise for 30days straight concept and you’ll find it difficult to not practice. I do take time out once or maybe twice a week depending on work or family time, that’s important. It also helps to step away from it when you do find it difficult and tedious. Come back a little more charged to continue.