supportTutorialsCDsPPT mouthpieces

Beginner My First Lesson!

Ah yes folks, the day finally arrived when Boozy Squawks finally came out of its case and Suzy had her first lesson.

Some of you may recall that I bought it for £80 about a month ago and had practised a tad on just the mouthpiece. Well, I've since had 2 lots of flu so decided to keep it in its case until my first lesson.

Off I drove in my beloved "Chugger" (Peugeot 306 diesel), complete with Sat Nav (don't laugh, have you tried finding someone's house in Shetland in the dark?), promptly got lost and good old sax teacher saw me drive by, came out in her slippers down the road and off we trot!

She duly inspected Boozy Squawk and gave it a blast. Mmm, lower 2 notes (those big round thingies to all you other newbies out there) don't quite blow right but apart from that, tis fine apparently.

Now silly Suzy hadn't got her gob in the right position so now I'm going around pretending to be Bugs Bunny - crumbs, a LOT easier than blowing like I was doing into it LOL! Sax teacher was quite impressed (so was I but mmm, did I let on?)

Oh joy of joys, the fingering is sooooo much like a recorder. Ha, 3 blind mice coming up then - oh yeah? How come when I do an A it blooming goes up a note then LOL. Lovely sax teacher suspects that as I have only likkle hands that I may be catching one.

Oops, almost forgot - no, I didn't smash my glasses but crumbs, I really do need a new neck strap. Oh, and must get some cork grease too. At least I now know how to put it together and hey, I had put the reed it correctly. I'm going to give it a few months and then get Boozy Squawk serviced as I have had a tad bit of an expensive day.

Why that then? Cos "Chugger" failed its blooming MOT today (bless, it '99 reg) on corroded brake pipes and big hole in the exhaust so I had to get the bus 25 miles back from Lerwick. Good job I popped home after sax lesson (13 miles) and dropped off B&H innit?

Chugger is now sitting in the garage and I get it back on Monday, £350 lighter (correction: hubby's credit card £350 lighter).

Jellybabybex

Well done Suzy on your first lesson, sounds like it all went (more or less) swimmingly!

Not so good on the car front though - don't we all know that feeling.

I like your name for your sax btw :)))

OP
U
Well done Suzy. Those 20 days just flew buy. I'm glad you enjoyed your lesson. Have you to buy a tutor book?

Jim.
I'd already bought Abracadabra so no, I don't have to buy a tutor book. I've just got to concentrate on putting sax together and playing A & B provided I can continue okay with me bugs bunny impressions. We even touched on the use of the tongue in the first lesson (but I couldn't do it so we leaving that for the time being lol)

I think I can safely say it is the first time ever in my life that I am considering insuring me specs ...

OP
U
Well done Suzy on your first lesson, sounds like it all went (more or less) swimmingly!

Not so good on the car front though - don't we all know that feeling.

I like your name for your sax btw :)))
Cheers Becci - well; every time I go to type Boosey I immediately go for the Z without thinking about it and hey, let's face it, the noises we make when we start out send all the birds in the garden flying off so again, squawk seemed rather apt. Now, if I smoked B&H that would complete the trio but alas, I'm a Superkings or Richmonds bod (but the idea is to cut down!).

Top Bottom