support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

How to wash a sax

I have grown since then and today I would have responded, "What an interesting idea. Let us know how that works out for you."

wow...I have known numerous folks from the politically correct left go to the right, I find it disturbing finding one to go to the left from the right. I am not so sure I personally would put that in the 'have grown' column though.

May tenor in those days was a silver plated Yanagisawa T5 - it lasted well over 5 years.

well over 5 years eh? well there you go, absolute proof then.... ;)

So far my horn is not that messy only has some blood stains here and there ‘coz I have been “biting” too hard on my lower lip!!

Were any of your parents or possibly teachers Nosferatu?
ya....shouldn't be biting that hard.....or even close....or even at all.....
ya stick with zero biting......and no bleeding on your saxophone and it will save you a lot of washing.

I used to clean my trombone under running tap water when I was a trombonist . Is it okay to do the same with my one-year old sax? why not?

Wash it with extremely hot water and then spray it down at the car wash!!

Like this? I use a sponge to clean around the posts without picking my fingers in the springs.

The only time a saxophone can safely be given a "bath" is when all the keys are removed. I do it when I am doing a Clean, Oil and Adjust, a Repad, or an Overhaul. Soft bristle brushes are used around the toneholes and posts and a long brush designed for that purpose is used inside the body tube. The instrument then must be rinsed well and quickly dried using pressurized air.

Putting an assembled saxophone in water can cause the steel rods and screws to rust, and the leather pads to absorb water into the felt underneath which causes them to swell.

wow...I have known numerous folks from the politically correct left go to the right, I find it disturbing finding one to go to the left from the right. I am not so sure I personally would put that in the 'have grown' column though.

well over 5 years eh? well there you go, absolute proof then.... ;)

Were any of your parents or possibly teachers Nosferatu?
ya....shouldn't be biting that hard.....or even close....or even at all.....
ya stick with zero biting......and no bleeding on your saxophone and it will save you a lot of washing.
"ya....shouldn't be biting that hard.....or even close....or even at all....." I will try!

View attachment 12768

Like this? I use a sponge to clean around the posts without picking my fingers in the springs.
That looks familiar. :) Be sure to rinse well and "blow dry" immediately. Water left on the springs for any length of time will cause them to rust. Some techs recommend coating the springs with a thick oil or grease before immersing the sax in soapy water.

Hint: Saxophones are much easier to take apart than to put back together. This is a link to a thread I started on Sax On The Web that contains some information that may help if this is your first time. https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...n-Sax-Repair&p=3735190&viewfull=1#post3735190

That looks familiar. :) Be sure to rinse well and "blow dry" immediately. Water left on the springs for any length of time will cause them to rust. Some techs recommend coating the springs with a thick oil or grease before immersing the sax in soapy water.

Hint: Saxophones are much easier to take apart than to put back together. This is a link to a thread I started on Sax On The Web that contains some information that may help if this is your first time. So Ya Wanna Learn Sax Repair
Thanks. I am pretty sure I have no problem taking it apart. But I don’t have confidence to put all the parts together to make it like a Sax!! Thanks for the link anyways.

Saxophones are much easier to take apart than to put back together.
When I used to work with the nice Mr Noble, I'd take saxes apart, clean them up, repad, recork and reassemble. Then I'd give them to Rupert to make them work properly.. That was the hard bit.