support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner Sax How good (expensive) is this saxophone?

It sounds like an interesting endeavor and no doubt if Stephen is involved and Pete's impressions (among others) are positive, it makes me curious, FWIW. I applaud anyone able to market a reliable, less expensive horn; as it is what I endeavor to do on the used/vintage side of things. Perhaps at some point some will make it across the pond and I can actually see one firsthand.

@JayeNM
I'm sorry my post has confused you it might be partly due to the fact that you think I mentioned YAMAS in it I assume you are meaning YAMAHAS which I never mentioned in the post and is a brand I think is of the highest quality
As for my comment about items appearing second hand on eBay apart from not mentioning that people sometimes stop playing you seem to agree as I said players move on to better saxes the other problem you might have is I said people might be selling because they are not happy with them ,I think unless someone might want to infer something not intended I have never known anyone to sell on a sax they think is the best thing since sliced bread hope this helps to relieve the confusion

Having never played or worked on one, I'm inclined to accept Pete Thomas at his word that the Jerico is a good value as a student instrument. I learned from their ad that they have a "3 point quality control process" and they allow a 30 day trial period.

I think it's a good value student horn.
I mean, it's by no means perfect - but once suitably tweaked it's no worse than a great many horns I see on my bench that cost significantly more. And sometimes very significantly more.
They are what they are - cheap and cheerful horns intended for beginners who aren't comfortable about going down the used horn route (for whatever reason).
What gives them the edge over the competition is the playability, which I've always found to be impressive for such a low-cost horn.

That's as far as my connection with them goes - thereafter I just do what I'm asked to do following an inspection...same as with any other horn that comes in.

I'm often inclined to sell on my bargain finds, as some of you will know, and I've no reason to keep the Jericho alto particularly, but something just nags at me to keep this one when I sold the previous one.

I can only vouch for the alto, but it did have a lot in common with my SA80II played side by side a few years back: Reviews - Review of the 'Academy Jericho' Alto sax & Mk11

@JayeNM
I'm sorry my post has confused you it might be partly due to the fact that you think I mentioned YAMAS in it I assume you are meaning YAMAHAS which I never mentioned in the post and is a brand I think is of the highest quality
Yet the market is flooded with Yamahas as well. Jupiters, too. But again it has little to do with their quality...likely more to do with the fact that there are tons of 'em made....as for Eastmans and Buffets....dunno about there, but here the used market is hardly 'flooded' with them...(as for the Eastman, they actually appear to be every bit as good as any Yamaha I have ever serviced, actually...thus my sugegstion to add it to the list, since the student line is quite inexpensive as well. For the Elkharts, this is a brand which apparently is really popular in UK - notsomuch here - and a number of Forum members actually have sung their praises as a good student horn).

But I don't think wide availability on the used market is indicative of anything, so IMHO that is not a good yardstick to use in determining quality and reliability of a model/make, basically.

Last edited:
I have never known anyone to sell on a sax they think is the best thing since sliced bread ....
Actually, (and I realize we are digressing from the OP's query so I won't go further than this on the topic) I can tell you for a fact they do this. Folks sell vintage French Selmers, Super 20's, Conn 10M's, Martin Committees, Buescher THC's, Keilwerths, Yamaha Customs, etc. all the time...and readily admit they are fantastic horns (which is an accurate descriptor for all) which they have enjoyed.
But for some reason they sell 'em anyway. I have a modern Borgani here in the shop which I am about to repad and list, and the owner absolutely loves this horn, and I agree, it is a fabulous horn ....but he is selling her anyway.

Last edited:
Thanks all.

Today we went to see the YTS32 that was highlighted in the thread. It was actually really close by, and indeed the seller has previously done some repair on daughter's clarinet. It's now daughter's new saxophone, so I won't be able to comment on the value or quality of a Jericho (though, as you'll know if you read the thread, I wouldn't be qualified to do so anyway).

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom