support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

How do you listen to music? Streaming services or CDs/LPs...

How do you listen to music?

• CDs

Votes: 15 62.5%
  • LPs

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Spotify

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Deezer

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Napster

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Amazon prime music

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Google Play music

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • YouTube music

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Other...

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • MP3s or similar...

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Radio, any specific ones?

Votes: 13 54.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
...but algorithms can still throw up interesting music...

If I like a particular track and follow the algorithms (so called 'radio' on Spotify) I am led down a new and revealing path

Trouble with radio, radio is what's available in my car for instance. simply doesn't come close for breadth of genres and obscurity of artistes

Anyway @Wade Cornell I'm surprised NZ radio does it for you. Last time I was there I noticed that whatever the station (mainstream, rock, soul etc.) you could guarantee to hear at least one track by Elton John and one by Rod Stewart every hour. Every hour

That maybe commercial radio in NZ but ironically the state owned broadcaster Radio New Zealand or rnz as it is now known has some very good world music programmes with Trevor Reekie's Worlds of Music, Nick Tipping's Inside Out jazz show or Music 101 which show cases a lot of local and international music including rap (to be fair not my favourite) , alternative rock, even the occasional jazz and many different genres. Trevor Reekie and Nick Tipping a top musos and know what they are talking about.

I sent quite a bit of the time listening to the Concert FM classical prorammes...but also have a big CD, cassette (remember those) and vinyl collection...well it actually numbers to several thousand...:eek:

Greg S.

We have a rather large collection of CD's, every now and again we buy new CD's (mostly at live gig's). But then we rip these CD's to MP3 and put them on our phone or on a USB-stick to use on our car radio.
About a year ago one of our friends (a drummer) convinced us to make the step to streaming services. I checked out the different options that were available. In the end I chose Deezer, mainly because they give the largest share of what you pay to the artists (quite a bit more than the other services according to the figures that I found).
And the radio also has a big part in our listening experience.

...but algorithms can still throw up interesting music...

If I like a particular track and follow the algorithms (so called 'radio' on Spotify) I am led down a new and revealing path

Trouble with radio, radio is what's available in my car for instance. simply doesn't come close for breadth of genres and obscurity of artistes

Anyway @Wade Cornell I'm surprised NZ radio does it for you. Last time I was there I noticed that whatever the station (mainstream, rock, soul etc.) you could guarantee to hear at least one track by Elton John and one by Rod Stewart every hour. Every hour

Depends on what radio stations you listen to. I'm kind of an odd one out as I mostly listen to Radio New Zealand's Concert program...yea, Classical music! Otherwise it's Auckland University's Radio B which is (I guess) a typical student radio station, so lots of new stuff and no old Pop stars. From my experience the algorithms tend to try and define your taste and throw just more of the same at you. My taste is...shall we say "eclectic"? So I really don't want the same style pitched at me. I love world music and probably just about everything else. It appears to me that the creators of those algorithms think that they are more successful if they can divide and define smaller niches of music. I want the opposite. Just in case others think "Classical Music" is just one genre, You can start by periods (many), composers (thousands), instruments, vocals, etc. and wind up with tens of thousands of distinct niches for an algorithm to follow. GIVE ME VARIETY !!!

I've still got several boxes of CDs (I sold off my vinyl some time ago and rather regret it) but my standard day to day listening is from the phone where I have the vast majority of them in MP3 format...

My CDs are in storage in the garage.

My LPs are in storage in the garage.

We have a family spotify subscription, and I love it. Might be the Starbucks of streaming services, but I have shared playlists with my bands so that we can get any songs we want to play, all of my family have their own account, and I like the algorithm that suggests different music. I have listened to more, and varied, music with spotify than I ever did with my CDs.

A while ago, we had a single account and all shared it. My son ran the bar in a local hotel and created a playlist to put on in the background. I didn't know he'd done this and one evening I was driving back from a meeting and wanted to wake myself up so, rather than listen to the car radio, I popped spotify on and stuck on some Motorhead. 30 seconds later it changed to gentle jazz. "What the flip" I thought, "spotify's playing up", and so I switched it back to my Motorhead. This happened 3 or 4 times, until Krishan called me and told me to stop f***ing around with his playlist, because my Motorhead was playing in his bar, and the natives were getting restless :rofl:

That's when we went for the family subscription...

Missing from the poll:

Via the spill from my son's headphones

Dont mention it. I now have 3 teenagers and guess what, since spills from head phones are not enough, I have ordered 3 Bluetooth speakers for them Christmas. Originally so they all have an alarm clock that doesn't require a mobile phone next to their bed. They are required to leave their phones downstairs at night.

I may regret that decision... :doh:

I have to say that I don't feel like a dinosaur anymore. Given the rate of CD listeners. I lost a few of my CDs many years ago, stolen from my car with my CD player of course and back then we could not rip them.

Now, curiously I received an offer to try Spotify for 3 months. I thing I'll try it and see if it does it for me.

I agree that the radio concept is good to discover music. So it'll depend on how good the Spotify implementation on Android Auto is... I was a bit frustrated by the lack of control I had on Amazon music as I tried it.

They do it for my safety, but then it doesn't handle dual SIM phones very well and that is a REAL safety issue.

I changed my vote to include radio, although I don't listen to it as much as I used to. We had a great program on FIP (France Inter Paris) for years called Jazz á FIP or Jazzafip. It still exists but they changed the format. First they reduced the length, down from 1h to 30'. Now, it looks like they are back to a 1 hour program, so perhaps I need to revisit it. It's not ideal in terms of timing for me as it's around the time I usually hit home and must deal with my 3 little monsters!

I'm just listening to a podcast and I guess that's the way to go. As I do with Repassez-moi-l'standard. I download all of these.

For Club Jazzafip, go check it out too!

I read this thread but never done the Poll.
Got racks of vinyl, tapes & cd's all over the house, plus hard drive libraries of digi-music downloads.
As a result of this thread I did the Apple Music 3-month trial offer.
I've been buying downloads from them for years but now for 9,99 a month I can download anything my heart/ears desiré's.
Magic - I've been downloading stuff that I wouldn't normally buy and discovering it's cracking.
Obviously the downloads don't belong to me - I can't keep them if I decide to terminate the contract but I generally spend more than 9,99 a month anyway.
When it comes to Hi-Fi my ears are no longer capable of enjoying such luxurious quality.
So . . . Stream On with Apple's Magic Music Digiwhazz downloads :thumb: ;)

Last edited:
The problem with all the online services is that you never know when they're going to die. Google Music, for example is transitioning into YouTube. I don't know what happens to music you bought, but there's always a risk with most of these.

Depends on the reason I'm listening to music. I have over 1000 CD's and have a really good system so that's enjoyable - when I want to really enjoy it. I also have a FLAC player, which made me love music all over again. This plugs into my system or I use for travel.

I have some stuff on my phone for travel too and in the car, and I also have a USB stick which I use in the car as it holds 32GB of stuff.

I have loads on my computer - all my CD's and then extra stuff I've accumulated in AIFF, mp3/4 or AAC files. I have 150GB or something of stuff on an external drive which is backed up on a further one.

I listen to BBC radio 3 and 4, Classic FM and Scala in the car mostly. I also have 4 rooms in the house with wired speakers from a central unit that has internet radio and FLAC/mp3 etc. Internet radio is great as you have so many channels all over the world. My regular listening includes two University-run Jazz stations from the US.

I've never really used Spotify, Deezer etc etc etc

Had got to a point where I had about 900 cassettes. Re-bought some stuff on CD. Digitised some stuff. Kept for ages and then got fed up and chucked them. Just sold my Dad's 78's. Someone bought them and booked a courier. Not familiar with 78's they thought that th whole lot would be about 4kg in weight... 50kg! Man. they're heavy.

Last edited:
As a result of this thread I did the Apple Music 3-month trial offer.

I went for Spotify family. The kids don't know yet. That'll be an extra once they opened their presents and discovered their new bluetooth speaker alarm clock radio... It's going to be a noisy house!

1. Vinyl
  2. CD
  3. Spotify
  4. Youtube
  5. CC
  6. R to R
If it's possible to buy music direct from the artist I prefer that method. Cash in an envelope and a signed CD/album back to me. And I use to buy more than one of each CD/LP. . I like to spread sax music!!!! I feel good when I can give away a " brand new" CD/LP with the plastic around. I guess most artists earn more money selling on thier own?