PPT mouthpieces

Hong Kong shopping spree

dooce

Locality
Daventry
In 3 weeks, we are ending our Big Trip with 3 days in HK. Why I am imagining we will be shopping, I have no idea as we are royally skint after 6 months travelling, but just in case the credit card still works, do any of you worldly-wise people have any advice on what the bargains are? I'm thinking new phone, maybe a new camera, (no saxes, quite happy with what I've got) but are there are any pitfalls to buying fancy technology there?

Hi Bill, good to hear from you again.

iPad 3 maybe?

Hi Kev - Yes, that's a thought, but a new phone is top priority - but I am not sufficiently techno-geeky to understand whether anything I buy there is compatible with UK conditions. Incidentally, have you checked my blog recently - we had a great evening with Jimu, or visionari as he is known on the forum. Lovely bloke. The blog is dated 5th March if you follow the link in my signature.

Generally speaking a phone you buy here will be compatible with UK - I'm not a techie either but my understanding is that it's the SIM card that matters - and you either use your existing UK one or buy a new one when you return to Blighty. I have a really cheap second phone that I use when traveling and it's worked perfectly on our visits to UK. Most other electronic gear works fine in UK - voltages same, etc. My son saved a lot on a Sony Vaio laptop when he was here a few years ago, and it's worked fine. Generally warranties are worldwide as well for the bigger brands.

Not sure how much you'll save (if anything) - I would suggest you figure out which model you want, research the cost in UK on-line and then see what HK prices are like. You may however be able to pick up a newer model than might be available in the UK - for what that's worth. For safety's sake, i,.e not buying a rip-off or grey item (which would give you warranty problems), go to either Fortress or Broadway (chains a bit like Dixon's) or Suning (smaller local chain) - which is where I buy my phones and cameras.

Just tried to pm you my phone number - do call if I can be of any help when you're here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Kingsley, I did get the PM, and as you suggest, I'll check out UK prices before I do anything rash.

I'm sure I don't need to tell you this but it's also the exchange rate that's important. When my son bought his Vaio, the rate was over HK$15 to the pound; now it's about 12.3 - makes a big difference when you do the sums!

Where do you plan to stay?

My wife was looking at phones in Autralia and some of the very cheap phone are locked to the providing telco. May not the case in Hong Kong but something to check. I'd avoid any phone locked in this way. Otherwise as stated normally you pop the sim card in and off you go.

I had a look at your blog and it looks like you are having a wonderful trip. I spent my childhood holidays on the Kapiti coast, less coffee shops and a lot less develop back then. Enjoy the rest of your trip

Back
Top Bottom