PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones High F# sharp key

It does not have a high F# key.

But I don't find it essential

anyway, in saxophone history which year started could we find horns equipped with high F#

anyway, in saxophone history which year started could we find horns equipped with high F#
It became common in the 70s, but I've seen it on 30s horns

(I call it F#3, but it is a never ending debate)

It's not that hard a note to hit using altissimo fingerings. I don't have an F# key and I play that note all the time.

going to buy an old alto sax ... thinking about not be chinese not be too different in mechanical compared to modern horns. do you have some advice for names please

It's not that hard a note to hit using altissimo fingerings. I don't have an F# key and I play that note all the time.
what sax brand you have? please could describe a well tried example fingering for this note?

I have a King Super 20. It's a very old vintage alto. I play high F# using the front F and side Bb keys. You will have to voice it correctly. That is much more important than fingers for altissimo. You can also try front F with the right index fingers (F) key. That works better on some horns.

I have a King Super 20. It's a very old vintage alto. I play high F# using the front F and side Bb keys. You will have to voice it correctly. That is much more important than fingers for altissimo. You can also try front F with the right index fingers (F) key. That works better on some horns.
I very like your King. Where made in? How much does it worth/cost?

It was made in Cleveland by the H N White Company in 1946. There were I believe six series of them. Mine is a series one. It's probably worth between $3500 and $4000, depending on the buyer. I'm no expert so my numbers could be off.

The great thing about the forum is, if my estimate is not accurate, there are a number of experts and I'm sure one of them will come along soon and correct me. I learn a lot here.

For $2000, you can get an excellent new alto sax.
If you are not sure what you want and you plan to buy second-hand, then I suggest that you aim to spend less than $1000.

One obvious choice would be a Yamaha YAS-23, 25, 275, or 280

Last edited:
For $2000, you can get an excellent new alto sax.
If you are not sure what you want and you plan to buy second-hand, then I suggest that you aim to spend less than $1000.

One obvious choice would be a Yamaha YAS-23, 25, 275, or 280
although i not played or heard 100 Yamahas and 100 other brands but obvious there are opinions say Yamaha tone sound spectrum somewhat different to other brands. what's the base of truth?

Most players will talk about high F# as being a harmonic, as without the extra F# key it is. The F# key has effectively raised the regular range of the instrument (without resorting to harmonics).
It's very effective if you need to play in an orchestral or show setting, where you may need to play the note quietly and with focus. This is really tough with the harmonic fingering.

In non-classical music though it doesn't matter, and more tonal variations like "split tones" are available. I'm not sure that they are achievable with the F# key fingering - they'd certainly be much harder.

Personally I find the F# key fingering to have a weak sound and never use it. My tenor and soprano have the key, my altos do not.

Back
Top Bottom