support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner High C does not tune? (Alto Sax)

Eddsax

Hi

I have a Armstrong Alto sax it works very well but the only problem
is that the High C doesn't tune well its about quarter tone lower than the piano C (eb) .

Can anyone tell me any solution or tell me what to do to get the high C in tune

Thnx respect for all users :D

Hi

I have a Armstrong Alto sax it works very well but the only problem
is that the High C doesn't tune well its about quarter tone lower than the piano C (eb) .

Can anyone tell me any solution or tell me what to do to get the high C in tune

Thnx respect for all users :D

Hello Eddsax,

First, welcome to Pete's wonderful Cafe Saxophone.

I was about to write a straight forward response such as, "well, saxophones aren't in tune and at least knowing you are out of tune means you are one step closer to being in tune etc..."

But I had a nagging thought... I find high C a problem note on occasion but my problem is that I have a tendency to be sharp not flat. Larry Teal suggests that naturally high C on the alto is +8 cents i.e. sharp. So your high C being flat seems a little odd.

So a couple of thoughts/questions for you:
Is the middle C flat as well?
Are you sure your piano is in tune?
When was the sax last serviced?
How long have you been playing?

Hopefully the rest of the cafe will be able to help you out, they are far more knowledgeable than me.

All the best,

Chris

I have had this problem a little with my Tenor on the upper A, B, C and D - but it seems to resolve provided I tune it well and when it warms up. HTH

Hi Criss!

I play the sax for 2 years now, and i use to service the sax every 6 moth but the problem is that the servicer isn't good at these problems you know "Tuning Sax-s" he tried but with no success thats why I want your help.

Ok I will answer your questions so it may be easier to help me:D

1.The middle C is in complete tune.
2.I tried on synthesizer too so the piano is OK.
3.Last service 3 months ago (but I told you no succsess)
4.I play for 2 years now.

Ok hope anyone can help me or find me any serice manual or something so I can try to fix it myself:D

Respect to all:D

It could be you lip!!

Ed,

Befotre spending money on servicing make sure you are not blowing sharp when you get to the higher notes.

We all have a tendency to pinch harder the further up the compass we go which makes us blow sharp.

It may be just technique.

It's not that easy to change the pitch of a note in just one register. There are web posts on tuning by making/inserting crescents into the tone holes, but this will affect both registers. Is there an experienced alto player near you who may be able to help?

Not sure if there is, but there may be alternate fingerings that'd help. Also possibly a change of mouthpiece or embouchure, but I'm no expert.

Ok I will try to demonstrate the problem so it may be easier to understand it...
Here is the picture I made...

(ADMIN EDIT: image resized to fit)

Attachments

• saxproblem.jpg
    saxproblem.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 117
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Eddsax,

In your pic for Sax 1 using the side C key your diagram shows that you are also pressing the front F, I've not tried that but the usual fingering with the side C is the B not the F, one touch piece lower, I'm guessing your diagram is wrongly annotated as you are pointing at the B in the second picture but referencing it as a C.

Presuming that is the case, try pressing the C touch piece and also press the side Bb key, I've not tried this yet to see if it works but it's recommended in Larry Teals "The art of the saxophone" for raising the pitch of C.

I'm not surprised that the side C and normal C fingerings have slightly different intonation qualities, I've always considered the side C as an occasional fingering when quickly alternating between C and B or in a chromatic run.

What seems odd to me is that normal fingering for C2 i.e without side key or octave key is in tune but that an octave higher it is flat! I can understand your frustration and I'm sorry not to be of more help.

Wishing you luck getting it sorted out,

Chris