PPT mouthpieces

Hi to all

Altocu15

Hi every one,
just joined the Cafe Saxophone forum. Been learning alto sax for two years now, and just loving it to bits.
I played lead guitar for well over 20 years, wish id picked the sax up years ago.

My alto is the T.J. Signature, not the signature custom, it an intermediate horn, i use a JDX mouthpiece, and vandorren v16/zz 2 1/2 3 strength reeds.
looking forward to getting some tips, advice, and just chit chat about stuff.
Regards all.

Hey Altocu15, Big welcome to the Café.

Tell us some more about your musical tastes etc.. Guess we're a bit nosy round here..>:)

Chris..:D

Hey Hey Altocu15 ...

Welcome to the Cafe mate ... :thumb:

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. After playing blues rock for 20 something years on guitar, I love the blues , wow talk about the blues scale on sax, it sounds real earthy just fantastic.
Also getting into jazz, never thought I would be listening to jazz , but I'm just so getting into it .

Hi Alocu15 and a big welcome to the cafe :)

If youv'e been playing lead guitar for 'well over 20yrs' then that would put you in the age range of us other late starters on sax (i'm 50) and yes we all agree about 'wish i had picked it up years ago'

Enjoy your new journey

Hi Trimmy,
yep your spot on a late starter.
Trimmy i was wondering about your alto, the Hanson sa8, i will be upgrading my alto in about 4/5 months time iv heard some good reports about them are they a good sax. I have looked on Hansons web site and the silver gold model looks great. What are your thoughts on them
Best regards
Bill

Hi Bill!

A Big Welcome to Cafe Saxophone from The Skabertawe Lites in Downtown South Wales! I recently got a back up Alto Sax to my Selmer Ref54 and the Buffet Crampon A400 is awesome - worth putting on your short list for sure.

Any reason for upgrading your sax? The main influence on sound will be your ability, followed by the mouthpiece so I would always think about upgrading that end of the sound chain - cheaper option, and you could easily get a custom made piece for less than you think. Lots of folks gradually develop a sound concept that they seek to recreate on their sax. Any thoughts you have on this may be worth sharing if there is a sound that you are after, and several mouthpiece makers in UK and the US are able to produce a piece which is just right - or there may be one which is just right for you. My thoughts anyway.

Kind regards
Tom

Welcome to the caff©, Autocu.

ENJOY!​™

Eyup.
Another guitarist coming towards the light.
Welcome.
Just taken possession of a silver gold Hanson Tenor and it is very nice.
Andy

HI Altocu, and greetings, I have just received my TJ Raw alto today, been playing for four months Artemis student model, which to be honest I really enjoyed. but it stood like a gleaming lacquered sentinel to heavens gate, in the corner of my living room.

Made me feel a little queasy at 75, very late starter. Best regards, N.

Hi and hello. I started guitar lessons aged about 10 but have learned more about music in two years of sax study than in all the time before. It just fits better. Have fun.
Mike

Trimmy i was wondering about your alto, the Hanson sa8, i will be upgrading my alto in about 4/5 months time iv heard some good reports about them are they a good sax.

Hi Bill
I must admit the Hanson was not my 1st choice of alto, i bought it 2nd hand off the devils junkyard at a bargain price even after getting it checked out and a service i still reckon i will get double what i paid for it :D !!
I'm happy with mine and i'll keep it until i can afford a Cannonball alto (my 1st choice)http://www.cannonballmusic.com/ss_altos.php i haven't even tried one yet but i like what i've read and heard (Gerald Albright plays one) Stephen Howard rates them highly his closing words..... You won't be sorry, you really won't. http://cafesaxophone.com/showthread.php?6366-So-Amazing-(-you-need-a-spare-17-mins-to-watch-!!!-)

Anyhows i digress, the Hanson plays well the keywork is light and not clunky and considering it's about 4 years old the finish has held up well (the silver/gold is a pain to keep clean) but as you say it does look great and is worth the effort in keeping it clean :D overall the Hanson is good enough for my ability and when my teacher plays it, it sounds awesome (i have a long way to go)
If you are considering the SA8 then i would check out other alto's at a similar price range before buying (which i'm sure you will) as Tom (earlier post) also recommends the Buffet crampon and the Selmer, spending a good amount on a new sax i would (and will) be trying lots before buying a new sax.

Happy hunting when you do decide to buy

Thanks to one and all for the best wishes on the forum, and a special thanks to Trimmy, and Tom for there
input regards mouthpieces and altos to consider. MMM, a nice little short list has been drawn up.
Regards
Bill

Back
Top Bottom