support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Hi from Mid-Wales ...

I decided to buy the System 54 Alto from South Wales Woodwind in Tom's link above - it arrived on saturday and is totally stunning. I also bought a Berg Larsen metal mouthpiece, 95/2/SMS and a Rovner dark ligature to go with it. It has quite a dark tone but with some edge and it is easier to get harmonics and altissimo notes. The tone has more body, especially in the lower register - the low Bb shakes and vibrates the horn in a way that never happened with the Trevor James !!. A bit of a jump to the metal mouthpiece with a wider tip opening but I don't find it too hard to control - but my mouth tires more quickly and I drew blood the first time I used it on Saturday !! Hopefully I'll be more used to it in a couple of weeks.

So a huge thanks to Tom Mapfumo !! - and now to relearn all the tunes I forgot when I was solely concentrating on intonation, pitch and succesfully navigating the lower/middle register break (and learning how to play the octave + 5th harmonic when I want to play it, not when it just wants to come out randomly !!) I think I will always be working on these aspects - but I think there is room for some tunes now too !!

Glad you like the System 54 sax! I play a tenor and think it is quite superb. I sometimes play a Runyon Quantum Metal 9 on alto, which I like very much and have adapted to, but they are small.

I notice that Richard Hamer is playing during the Brecon jazz festival weekend - are you going at all?
Kind regards
Tom

Hi Tom,
I don't think I'll be able to go to Brecon jazz this year - maybe next year !! certainly not after spending all my pennies on the syatem 54 alto !! - and now I have to spend 20 million years in the woodshed !!

Back
Top Bottom