support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Hi from Greece!!

My name is Kostas, I'm a selftought saxplayer... I really enjoy my alto Yamaha 62, but most of all my recently bought Cannonball Mad Meg Tenor sax! It's an awesome horn, which I'm trying to master for the past few months, starting as usual from the mouthpiece-reed setup!!! 'til now I tried a Rico Graftonite, a Selmer C80, and an Otto Link STM. All of them didn't do much job I can say, and now I'm orienting to a Jody Jazz HR and an Otto Link Tone Edge...the results will be posted in the short future!!!:)

Gia sou Kosta,

Searching for the right mouthpiece for a tenor sax is very frastrating. I play a YTS62 and the following is a list of mouthpieces in my
possesion:

Otto Link TE 7, Otto Link STM NY 7, Yamaha 4C, Meyer 7M,Vandoren V16 T8. Vandoren Java T55, Vandoren TL4, Berg Larsen 110/2,
Otto Link New Vintage Slant 7, Lebayle LR I, Jody Jazz HR*7, Drake Son Of Slant 7, Selmer Soloist D.

Christ...I just realised were all my money's gone.

Hi Kostas and welcome. I'm a Cannonball fan as well. Cool saxes - different, and great players.

I use a Link STM for noodling around and practice, but a Berg HR 115/2 for gigging and making serious noise. Lots of CB owners seem to rate Jody Jazz.

PS - Koumou - like the avatar - is that Joan Miro?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Kostas! Welcome to the Forum from the Skabertawe Horn Section. Hope you have a great time in the forum, and solve your mouthpiece problem for less money than Koumou. What I take from his experience is that it is maybe better to get a mouthpiece that is above the "norm" - several players have been very happy with the PPT from what I've heard: similarly I bought a Francois Louis Spectruoso ML T280 and that was it. I don't know what the market is like in Greece for trying out mouthpieces (I think Koumou has used Thomann on several occasions) but it may just be an idea to listen to the recommendations on the forum, which can be pretty spot on, especially if trying before you buy is difficult.

My previous sax teacher played a JJ HR* on his Yamaha sax and it sounded quite brilliant, so worth a look.

Anyway a Big Welcome!:w00t::shocked:
Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Hi Kostas, and a big welcome from sunny Alicante. Getting the right mouthpiece is a real problem. I don't know what the answer is, but as you see it can involve a lot of money and dissapointment. I have a PPT8*, a Berg Larsen 120 and a Rico Graftonite B5. I like all of them, but for me the PPT has come out on top. I'm one of the old school, who isn't happy with reeds straight from the box, so I scrape them untill I'm happy with the sound produced. I have tried the different methods recomended on here, but for me (and I stress for me), they don't come anywhere near a good scrape! If you are one of those people who can use reeds from the box, trying m'pieces should work fine. So I wish you good luck in your search.

John.

Hello again and Thank You for your Hearty Welcome!!! I'm shure I'm gonna like it here:thankyou:
For answering some of the questions I remember..;} Sad but true, but in Greece and specifically in the part of Greece where I live it is quite difficult to try anything that involves saxophone, because it is not a very popular instrument, and you can't find almost nothing...if it is a horn or a mouthpiece. For the last 20 years I've been struggling with gathered information from here or there according to how to play the sax or licks or effects etc. and for a selftought sax player I find it very hard sometimes to get along, but with love and persistence anything can happen!!!:sax:
But recently I found a Musicshop about 600 kilometers away from here :shocked: who knows tons of information and helped me pick out the Cannonball and new Reeds and so on.
But mostly from asking around I guess that the most appropriate mouthpiece for a Cannonball is the Jody Jazz HR, which will be the next mp to try!!!
Thank you all once again!!
I feel already like Home!!!:cheers:

My experience trying the JJ HR* (I tried it for a week) was that it was slightly more resistant than others that I play - the Barone Jazz 8 and FL T280 are both .110" but were more free blowing than the 7* HR which was .105". I should have tried the 7, as it might have been more comfortable. So maybe best to get slightly smaller than you normally play.....

Kind regards
Tom

Hello Kostas, and a warm welcome. I bought my saxophones from friends who were retiring and they used Selmer C## mouthpieces. As I had always liked their sound I've just stayed with the Selmers and been very happy. Too bad they don't work for you. Happy hunting.

Jim.

Back
Top Bottom