support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Helping Hands

Taz

Busking Oracle
Locality
Rugby UK
Having just read TinyDragons post in the "Doorbell" section a thought happened! Now I don't like these things happening, I like an easy life but "hey" these things do happen and so I thought (damn, there's another one!) that I'd share it with you and get you opinions.

How do we fancy asking the boss (Pete, not your significant other) for a section called "Helping Hands" this would be a section where those requiring help could ask for it. If you require help, then all you have to do is post a location (this could be in the form of a public map) and anyone living within a reasonable distance, who could offer some assistance to a total new comer/anyone requiring help, could then arrange, by private message, to contact each other. Now I know that we have some teachers on here and I'm not trying to take their bread and butter away from them, but I'd be up for offering some help to someone in need.

What are your thoughts on this? Is this a great idea, or has a rubbish idea just pushed a decent idea out of my head? (There's only room in there for so many you know.... Doh!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Helping Hands ...

Your a nice Bloke Taz ... :mrcool

I think its a very nice thing you offer ...

The idea of a sort of self help group is good [I like it], but it also has some difficulties ...

For example: Us beginners will not be in any position to offer any real help for quite some time and so it will fall rather heavily on those members who can offer the support and assistance you mention.

Of course on the plus side there is all to gain and little or nothing to loose. ;}

I believe that a decent discussion here to see what others think is a good idea ... :welldone

Hi Taz,

Good idea mate, you are welcome to come to Sydney anytime and show me the ropes! But yes a cracking idea.

Thanks and regards Rikki

Great idea. Not sure about Sunray's comment - I think relatively new players are often better able to help beginners as they're closer to having solved the same problem themselves. It also gives people a chance to talk sax in a natural environment - and play with others in a good environment.

Taz, that's a good idea, and in line with that, what about some sound clips? These may well provide clues to problems, and then constructive help from members.

Taz, I like your Doh, - we now await the Ray, Me, Fah, So, etc.

John.

The Croydon and Sarf Lundun Massive approves of this scheme as it gives us more worthwhile addresses to do over.

What are your thoughts on this? Is this a great idea, or has a rubbish idea just pushed a decent idea out of my head? (There's only room in there for so many you know.... Doh!)

My thoughts are that it is a good idea. I'm always wary of adding sections though, initially it might be best as a single thread (sticky) in the beginners section. If it gets out of hand as a single thread then can become a section by itself.

I'll see what people think of this idea. It would be nice first to get an idea of how many people would ask and how many would/could respond.

An excellent suggestion. I'd be very happy to help, where I'm able, although I don't think there are many forum members close by me, sadly.

Good idea Taz. If you thought that was a rubbish idea, what the good one it pushed out?
I always think it's good experience to link up with other local players, unless it's OG. All I got from him was vice, depravity and Zimmer frame racing ....on the other hand perhaps it wan't so bad....
YC

A good idea Taz. If that was a rubbish idea, what's the good one it pushed out?
I alway think it's good experience to link up with other players, unless it's OG. All I got from him was vice, depravity and Zimmer frame racing....on the other hand perhaps it wasn't so bad...
YC

a great idea ! and just another illustration of why this is the best sax site put me down as a definite "helper"

Excellent idea -just needs some practical trial to see whether any difficulties emerge. I'd be very happy to help out in my neck of the woods..............

Clever bloke!

Kind regards
Tom

Brilliant idea Taz, I'm more than happy to help out anyone in Sussex/Kent area.

Phil

Put me down too. Don't suppose I'd be much help, but willing to do what I can.

Another thing might be if people are willing to let others try out their sax. I'm hoping to upgrade my Tenor in the New Year, and my teacher says to try out as many as possible first. My problem is, I don't like to go into a shop to try out loads of saxes, when I might be buying second hand (from someone here, say, or e-bay). Although my teacher says people do try out in shops with no intention of buying - but I'd feel guilty!!

It's great to see such a positive response from you all. I'll put something together in the form of a thread that Pete can sticky.
Thanks guys for the fantastic feedback and great points.
@ Sunray, as Kev points out you beginners have solved many problems that other newer beginners are just encountering.
@ Rikki, I'm on my way!
@ OG, the Dobermans just received his last training session on "How to disarm a Zimmer wielding pensioner".... He passed!
@ Nick, I hadn't thought of the "compare saxes" slant. Brilliant!
@ Sue, Phil, Tom, Sue, Nick and Zoot, thanks for offering your support. May you be the first of many
And finally @ Pete. Thanks very much for provisionally approving this madcap scheme on your site!

Hi Taz

Always willing to give what ever help I can to other forum members....john

Serious Hat On.

Still in the middle of a battle with the Council but when this is resolved and I'm not up for murder, hopefully with the Official Zimmer Frame Retainer's assistance, we might be able to run the odd CaSLM Nosh and Blow for Newbies. First of all, got to get rid of all the paperwork, get the keyboard working, lots of practising, then produce dots, demo and backing CDs in various keys of simple blues.

As my standard of playing and soloing are Grade minus three, the Newbies will have someone to laugh at, as playing four bar chasers when you can only count up to three, is difficult.

If this is appeals, will give details later on.

Serious Hat On.

Still in the middle of a battle with the Council but when this is resolved and I'm not up for murder, hopefully with the Official Zimmer Frame Retainer's assistance, we might be able to run the odd CaSLM Nosh and Blow for Newbies. First of all, got to get rid of all the paperwork, get the keyboard working, lots of practising, then produce dots, demo and backing CDs in various keys of simple blues.

As my standard of playing and soloing are Grade minus three, the Newbies will have someone to laugh at, as playing four bar chasers when you can only count up to three, is difficult.

If this is appeals, will give details later on.

Can I come and watch?

Hi All,
You can put me down as someone who would be willing to meet up and compare notes, Mailny the sqeeky and some other perculier noises that eminate from my Tenor and Alt.
Gusev

If you live anywhere near where I live then you probably need help anyway.