Hello there

dodosssss

I've been playings saxophone for nine years now, primarily in Alto but have recently been trying to move over to c Melody despite numerous issues with my c sax. I started as a classical player for my first three years but have been playing jazz ever since and have dabbled in Rock these past couple of years. I've lurked through these forums for a while and am happy to finally be able to talk here so, how are y'all doing?

OP
dodosssss

dodosssss

Welcome @dodosssss to the Cafe - and do tell us how you're finding the C Melody - I'm tempted....
I love playing it, although, if you are looking for one in norder to make finding sheet music easier I would not recommend it. I have to transpose more often on it than when I play my Alto as music is often an octave too low to play or songs are completely out of my range. It is great if you don't use sheet music very often. I prefer it when I'm just jamming with my band or playing free jazz. I love the tone and feel of my conn but, as it is an old sax, the maintenance required far exceeds that of my Alto. All in all though, you can easily snag one pretty cheap off of eBay, throw on an Alto or tenor mouthpiece, and have a blast playing around on it.

Zugzwang

Subscriber
I have one! The good news: a 1923 Conn complete with 2 mouthpieces - a Selmer and a Martin Handcraft - Bought for 6d, (that's 2.5p or 2.5cents for you) in a jumble sale when I was I think about 8.
The bad news: It looks as if it were run over by a train, and then the train driver tried to mend it with materials available in the cab.
I showed it to a few techs half a century ago and they said "throw it away" but that was then, and I didn't:)
Maybe it's time to ask again...

ESJohn

I'm sooo embarrassed! :oops: This is the first time that I had ever heard of this version of the saxophone! I quickly went to Wikipedia to learn more about it and found that it was one of Mr. Sax's original designs! It was made during this century by a company in China that is no longer in business, or may not be making the model any longer. Is it increasing in popularity? Thanks! I'm now smarter today than I was yesterday!
And, of course, welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
OP
dodosssss

dodosssss

It seems to be growing in popularity a bit from what I've observed. It seemed to lose popularity in the 40s I think as it was considered a beginners saxophone as it didn't require transposition. This made it useful in church and as a military horn as it didn't require it's own sheet music and could follow along a piano player's right hand. As a professional you didn't want to be caught playing one back in the day. I don't think that stigma surrounds it too much anymore however that could just be because I play with really relaxed musicians. In practice it's definitely more of a vintage novelty item however I love the tones you can get on it as it's not something I had ever heard before plus, due to the lack of popularity, they're pretty cheap!

Top Bottom