support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Hello from Tennessee USA

Steve Ross

Hello, I've been playing bass for 20 years. After a concert filled with the sounds of the saxophone, my wife asked that I pick up the sax. So for the past several weeks I've been researching the instrument that would best fit the types of music I play and listen to. I've decided on the alto sax. I have not purchased one yet so any information you can
provide would be most appreciated. My first lesson starts the week of September 3rd. I hope to hear any and all recommendations . MAY THE JOURNEY BEGIN.:thumb:

Welcome. Hopefully the deceison was as much yours as your wife's! If you've already got music in your soul, then a big part of the equation is in place.

I'd suggest looking for a local teacher who will be familiar with what's available locally and be able to "play test" any instrument. If buying new, there are lots of well regarded Taiwanese and Chinese brands that are suitable for beginners up to pros. Kessler out of Las Vegas has a good reputation for new (and used?) instruments as he will take back, repair, etc. and has lots of levels/prices.

Best of luck

Welcome Steve to the Forum,

New instrument, could mean new music to listen to, be prepared to sound rough and amateurish. Good move to get a teacher straight away, still be prepared to change teachers if you don't quite hit it off.
Welcome to the wonderful world of Sax playing.
Enjoy

Cheers & ciao
Jimu

"Together We Create Beauty"

Hello, I've been playing bass for 20 years. After a concert filled with the sounds of the saxophone, my wife asked that I pick up the sax. So for the past several weeks I've been researching the instrument that would best fit the types of music I play and listen to. I've decided on the alto sax. I have not purchased one yet so any information you can
provide would be most appreciated. My first lesson starts the week of September 3rd. I hope to hear any and all recommendations . MAY THE JOURNEY BEGIN.:thumb:

Hi Steve and welcome, one of the best bebop (If you like that type of music.) altoists hailed from Tennessee George Edward Coleman he played with Miles Davis and Chet Baker. If you get a chance get some of his recordings. He is still alive and well and producing. Best regards N.

Back
Top Bottom