Subscriptions and donations are given to special needs music education charities
SYOS

Helli everyone not much of a sax player but i had been given o e as a gift. Not to sure much about it. It h

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
But I think RMC dropped the brand Indiana. When, I guess when the inventory was sold. For c 20 years ago I had contact with a guy that had worked on Martin. He told me that they just did Indiana saxes for some weeks. They were told to put away the tools for "The Martin ..... (Comm) and just built Indiana saxes. I don't know if this is true? RMC made "The Imperial" and "The Medalist" and they also owned Blessing, Reynolds ... so I guess Martin made saxes for these companies as well.
Hello. I don't quite understand your comment here. The part I have put in bold, if I interpret it correctly, says that RMC stopped making Indiana models and also stopped making Committees ???

My observations (and with due respect for themartinstory website, the guy there does not keep it updated):

1) Based on what has come across my bench I am pretty sure that RMC didn't just "finish up whatever Indiana inventory was left in factory" and then stopped producing them....the reason being we have RMC stamped Indiana horns which are both "style 3" and "style 4". The former still with wire guards, the latter with redesigned sheet metal guards. I doubt both were made for just some "weeks"....
as I doubt highly that the factory would create new guard designs for a horn line which they were going to phase out.

2) Also, there are a fair # of Comm III's built under RMC as well...not tons, but enough to posit that they didn't just cease making them; and RMC introduced/marketed The Music Man model too, really just a III with some added bells and whistles, and on SOTW I have a friend who purchased his brand new in 1963..so that's 2 years after RMC took over...so they clearly were putting effort into marketing their top-shelfers. I just doubt they would phase them out.

So from what I have seen, and worked up, both Comm's and Indianas were made for at least a few more years after RMC took the helm....not just a single year or so....

Medalists ARE Indianas, just engraved with a different name.

Imperials are dumbed-down Indianas...same bodies, different necks, neck receivers, and revised keywork - the only Martin model I suggest folks avoid solely because the keywork is so clunky and the neck redesign thinned the tone.....

Last edited:

thomsax

I was told that most of the workers bult Indiana instrument during some weeks maybe months. And did many instruments and tempo was high, This was a way to cut our and costs. After that they wnt back to make "The Martin" instruments. This was a way to cut our and costs. And RMC and Wurlitser (took over in 1964) contiued make great saxes, like The Martin Magna Baritone to low A.

The production of Indiana saxes were big in the late 50's.? And Indiana serial numbers are five digits and "The Martin" use to be six digits.

My family was in manufactoring business. If there was an order of 1000 inits they you to produce 3000-4000 units. The cost for changing tools, change fuel and the costs that came along was high and this was a way to make a higher profit.

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
I guess I just don't believe that given the range of serial #'s present on Indianas with the RMC logo - they could have been produced in a single year. Particularly when they replaced the keyguard design, which would have required new tooling as no other Martin model (after the Comm II) had sheet guards.

Then when you then throw in the # of Medalists produced, which are exactly the same design as Indianas....it just seems pretty unlikely to me that all of this happened in the first year then they just shut down the fabrication. But I could be wrong....

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom