support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

headphones when recording...

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Locality
brighton by the sea
As a loud, blaring R&B kind of chap, I've always found studio headphones incredibly tricky things to work with. To 'sound like me' I play loud- which means the acoustic monitoring via my own jawbone to my ear is also seriously loud. This means I tend to totally drown out any rhythm track I've got on the headphones (Setting the headphones deafeningly loud would solve this but has been rejected for reasons of sanity!). I'm by no means the only human foghorn out there- what does anyone else do about this problem?

I use sound cancelling headphones. The Sennheiser 300 at about E100. Lead is a bit short, but otherwise it works well. Also good as ear protection when you're in a small space. But they do filter the tone of the sax a little...

Here is a cheap and good solution which I use. Get a pair of industrial ear defender headphones, and then wear them over a pair of earbud stereo headphones which have your mix playing through them. Works a treat when recording loud instruments.

Hope this is of help.

Flipp

Here is a cheap and good solution which I use. Get a pair of industrial ear defender headphones, and then wear them over a pair of earbud stereo headphones which have your mix playing through them. Works a treat when recording loud instruments.

Hope this is of help.

Flipp
That's got to be worth a try.... cheers!

Ok here is a silly question why wear head phones ?what do to hear while your playing? Ok i know its pluged into your music system and you can hear your c.d. But i dont understand the whole idea is .and how to set it up ie what kind o phones and a rough cost? and what els i need thanks Tom.

Ok here is a silly question why wear head phones ?what do to hear while your playing? Ok i know its pluged into your music system and you can hear your c.d. But i dont understand the whole idea is .and how to set it up ie what kind o phones and a rough cost? and what els i need thanks Tom.
This is for studio recording... the drummer, bassist and guitarist go in first and record the backing- then me and the singer go in separately and record our parts- the critical element being that I'm stuck in the booth with a mike which has to pick up sax and nothing but sax to make mixing and putting effects on feasable. Hence i need to listen to the backing while playing, but in a way that isn't going to be picked up by the mike I'm playing into.....

I set the saxophone level in the headphones according to the style. If I'm going to play a ballad, I would normally have the saxophone quite high, which forces me to play very softly.

If I'm playing some rock, I would normally have the saxophone lower compared to the band, which forces me to play loud, and allows me to without drowning out the backing. Which is very important in order to stay in the groove.

I set the saxophone level in the headphones according to the style. If I'm going to play a ballad, I would normally have the saxophone quite high, which forces me to play very softly.

If I'm playing some rock, I would normally have the saxophone lower compared to the band, which forces me to play loud, and allows me to without drowning out the backing. Which is very important in order to stay in the groove.
Same here- trying to rock out while holding your own volume back so as not to drown out the backing doesn't really work for me.
I used to get the same thing live on occassions. Swamp Things, my old crew, used to have a quite light drummer who used a lot of shuffly snare but a very quiet quiet bass drum plus a bassist who was very much into slapping- hence a great rhythmic texture but not a particularly pronounced beat...

Back
Top Bottom