support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Tone Harder reed, different tone?

FastFred

My second hand STM Link 7* arrived today from evilbay, yippee. My normal set up is Link ToneEdge 7*/EddieDaniels ligature/Vandoren Jazz 2&1/2's YTS62.
This is my first try with a metal mouthpiece; the difference was subtle, not as stuffy in the high registers and generally smoother with a breathier/airy sound.

I played together with a friend today just improvising with aebersold books. She gave me a Vandoren Jazz 3 reed to try which I put in the metal link after she had gone. Besides giving my diaphragm a good workout the tone is now very smooth and even more breathy but honks nicely when I push it. I like the sound but I didn't expect a harder reed of the same type to make the sound so airy. Why does it happen?

My second hand STM Link 7* arrived today from evilbay, yippee. My normal set up is Link ToneEdge 7*/EddieDaniels ligature/Vandoren Jazz 2&1/2's YTS62.
This is my first try with a metal mouthpiece; the difference was subtle, not as stuffy in the high registers and generally smoother with a breathier/airy sound.

I played together with a friend today just improvising with aebersold books. She gave me a Vandoren Jazz 3 reed to try which I put in the metal link after she had gone. Besides giving my diaphragm a good workout the tone is now very smooth and even more breathy but honks nicely when I push it. I like the sound but I didn't expect a harder reed of the same type to make the sound so airy. Why does it happen?

You probably needed a new challenge!!

I belive that if you play with the same setup over a long time you get used to that setup. Comfortable and safe. But you do not achieve any progresse?!? So a new setup or new reed (stronger or softer) can open up your playing.

The muscles in your face around the mouth that we called embrouche is not differnt to other muscles. The need dynamic workout to get a good function. So blow a differnt mpc and reed from time to time and do some workout for your tone with a differnt mpc and reed!!

If you a doing training in a gym with the same weights from time to time, years out and years in (can I write like this?) you will probably not doing any progress at all. It might be the opposite. The muscles become shorter and stiffer and some day you are not more buildning up. The same with saxplaying and saxophone tone. This is my personal opinion.

I think techers that allows students to play on the same setup over years should be arrested!!;}

Thomas

Think your right in the main. I was very comfortable with the old set up. Following that logic though we would or should be playing the hardest reeds and largest tip openings and I don't think is true of some of the best players. My chops did get a good workout yesterday! The main question though was why the tone changed so much on the same reed type, dont understand that?

Think your right in the main. I was very comfortable with the old set up. Following that logic though we would or should be playing the hardest reeds and largest tip openings and I don't think is true of some of the best players. My chops did get a good workout yesterday! The main question though was why the tone changed so much on the same reed type, dont understand that?

Maybe its in your head. Harder read, stronger breath control and embouchure - even sub consciously may make a big difference.

If you a doing training in a gym with the same weights from time to time, years out and years in (can I write like this?)
Thomas

I think that not only is your advice very sound, your written English is superb. If we were to attempt to write in Swedish (with the exception of Griff who learnt it for obvious military and secret service type stuff(and would have to kill us all if he divulged why) then it would be unreadable gobeldygook!
Hur gör jag hittills? ;}