support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones hard to believe

I have been watching a King Zephyr on eBay and it went for £435 with only 3 bids on it, I can't believe I missed a bargain like this

We won both of our saxes after research and with strategic bidding. It can work out well with a little homework, no snipping just well practiced. We only bid what we are prepared to pay but do not reveal this until the last possible second. If someone else gets it, it was not meant to be and on with the next bid. If we lose a bid it usually results in a better win in a few months time. There is always someone who sells a better or cleaner specification product for a similar price later down the line.

Last edited:
I would like to know how the King is @gladsaxisme ? :)

Sorry Mel and anyone else interested in the Zephyr,I have been quite busy work wise of late and neglected the cafe and my sax playing.
I'm quite pleased with the sax it looks like it's got it's original lacquer with obvious wear for its age, unfortunately not its original case but it has a nice smart new one.
It has a couple of dents in the bow and unfortunately the bell lip has taken a knock at some time leaving a feint line.
It seems to have been well looked after over its life as there is very little wear showing in the mechanics and all is nice and tight,the pads are a mixture of white and brown ,mainly white,not new but in reasonable condition, I might consider replacing with all new white in the future.
Plays without problem through most of its range but have had problems getting bottom Bb but that could just be me getting used to the sax and the somewhat small pinky table levers, but I sometimes have problems getting it on my 62,might be a leak somewhere but I will have to play some more before I'm sure about that.
I like the fact it has a few screw key adjustment between keys which I haven't come across before on any of the old saxes I own
All in all I'm happy with the sax and need to spend more time with it before making any comments on tone and playability

John

Check that the adjust screw down there on the B itself which if its in too far it holds the B key off a bit and stops the Bb from working properly - or it`s there on modern saxes anyway. Check the G# one too, that the linkage is holding it down properly as if it`s not, the low end notes are the first to go

I`m getting pretty good at setting up and regulating actions on saxes, things come loose , I`ve just gone through my SA80-II Tenor and although it played end to end, it needed quite a lot of things tightening etc including that G# linkage.... can play it quiet and smooochy right down to the Bb now whereas before it only played down there at volume

Last edited:
i saw a buescher true tone soprano which was covered in gold stuff that went for something like £350. surely you saw it too, up on ebay. i couldn't believe that. i couldn't believe i didn't bid on it either. but there was something about it that made me feel uneasy.

it was probably the gold stuff.

i saw a buescher true tone soprano which was covered in gold stuff that went for something like £350. surely you saw it too, up on ebay. i couldn't believe that. i couldn't believe i didn't bid on it either. but there was something about it that made me feel uneasy.

it was probably the gold stuff.

I must have missed that, shame when they spray gook all over them!

Back
Top Bottom