support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Happy with your playing?

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
Are you?

Last night, in a hot, sweaty Chiddingly, I was.
Which was nice.
A relatively new band and we've sort of settled on a set that we aim to perfect over the next few gigs. Which is good for me since I have quite a lot of stuff that I have to remember and that's not something I find easy.
Anyway, last night I was pretty pleased with what I was doing. Not brilliant by any means but not at all bad.
We even did a reasonable job of this one (the end's a bit of a finger twister):
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8HqQpoLK60

Tonight I'll be wowing them in the White Horse in Maidstone with a different band. It'll probably be rubbish. :)

Glad to hear about Chiddingly. Hope Maidstone goes well. The trick (as I'm sure you know) is not to expect too much based on the last performance.

As for me, I still consider myself as in the early stages (6 years in). I'm happier with my playing than I was last year, less happy than I intend to be next year.

GreAt number for sax

Congrats on having a band that'll do numbers like that and glad it sounds good too....bonus

We even did a reasonable job of this one (the end's a bit of a finger twister):
Cool number :) Does the end involve flip-flopping? :D

I'm rarely happy with my playing and when I am, it's very temporary. There's always a bum note ahead ;)
But I always make a point of not showing my discontentment on stage. People come to spend a good time, not to witness the metaphysical distress of the sax player who didn't manage to play that major triad over the b13 chord...
I do swear at rehearsals though. A lot.

Great number Nick, top playing from you too. A lot to remember.
I'd come and watch you and even dad dance.

Great.

No, I'm rarely happy. Always something I can do better.

Worst playing of the last couple of years was when I couldn't hear myself play... recorded the gig and realised I was desperately flat.... like pancake flat

Uuuuuugggghhh

Best moment so far was first time playing at a gig 'Let's Stick Together', on which I'd practised hard, and the solo simply popped out, almost without thinking.... beats trying to improvise

I played at that festival, too, Nick-we did a motown set on late saturday p.m. Beautiful weather, nice little festival, varied selection of bands-unfortunately I couldn't stay as I has somewhere else to be on saturday night! Hope we do it again, tho!

My band played a pub garden music fest at the weekend with rubbish stage sound (provided by the headlining band so it was all set up for them and sod the rest of us), did our 45 minute slot which I was really pleased with especially considering that we had played for 3 hours just the night before. Ripped through Louis Jordan's "Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens", some soulful noodling on "Back to Black" etc, but I could only dimly hear the bass and guitar, and I only pay attention to the singer in as far as I try to follow her erratic concept of timing. So I jumped off the stage at the end feeling pretty full of myself, to be met with 3 glum faces (not the drummer, he wouldn't know a good gig from a complete disaster - he's a drummer...) all of whom were convinced, for entirely separate reasons, that it was the worst we had ever played.

Just shows what a delusional little bubble you can get into if you, a) don't have decent monitoring, b) don't pay attention.

Or c), have very low standards :)

Yes, yes ... to play the saxophone or to do wrestling is almost the same for me.
I kind of get what you mean.... I remember recording with a band once who were absolutely astonished at the physicality of playing R&B sax

Yes, lovely gig today, warm enough, sunny enough, great drummer and an audience who occasionally floored me by getting up and dancing. They were really good too!

Extreamly I think me and the alto were made for each other..I'm in love