support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Greetings from Arkansas, USA

mmortonii

Hi all. New saxophonist here. I've always been interested in playing the sax, as well as many other instruments. I've dabbled with a keyboard/piano from my grandmother's teachings while I was a child. However, now is the time for me to pick up and begin with what I've been the most passionate about playing: the tenor sax.

I recently purchased a Glory Sax (cheap: hopefully a good beginner sax) which should arrive tomorrow. I'm eager and excited to begin this journey.

I found this forum scouring the web for best practices and what to look out for as a beginner. So here I am.

I look forward to learning with and from all of you.

Have a great day,
Miles

Welcome to the café.

You've probably run across the related site Taming the Saxophone. It has quite a lot of helpful information, especially on getting a good tone by practicing long tones.

Please let us know how the Glory sax works.

Oh...more unsolicited advice: mouthpiece. Getting a good tone is hard. Your mouthpiece can make it a little easier or a lot harder. Lots of people recommend the Yamaha 4C as a good starter mouthpiece, along with a fairly soft reed...#2 or so. (I've played the 4C and it was just right for getting started.)

Welcome to the café, Miles! If you found this place, you'll also find there is an almost infinite amount of good instructional beginner videos out there. I went through quite a few last year.

Welcome to the café.

You've probably run across the related site Taming the Saxophone. It has quite a lot of helpful information, especially on getting a good tone by practicing long tones.

Please let us know how the Glory sax works.

Oh...more unsolicited advice: mouthpiece. Getting a good tone is hard. Your mouthpiece can make it a little easier or a lot harder. Lots of people recommend the Yamaha 4C as a good starter mouthpiece, along with a fairly soft reed...#2 or so. (I've played the 4C and it was just right for getting started.)
I've seen that mouthpiece mentioned several times. I have it in my wish list now. The Glory will come with 5 #2 and 5 #2.5 reeds. Although a friend of mine told me they are pretty cheep reeds, which I'm ok with right now, as I'm sure I'll break a few.

I intend to just start with the mouthpiece to learn my embouchure before even trying to play some tunes.

I'll be sure to provide an update about the Glory as well.

Thank you,
Miles

Hey Miles, I gather your resources are limited, but one thing to note about reeds, I bought a cheap soprano and it also came with 2 reeds, but they were pretty much unplayable. If there's any way you can get at least one new 2 or 2 1/2, it might well be worth it. If you want to private message me your address, I will send you a Rico 2 1/2 as I have an almost full box I don't use. That goes for anyone in the same situation, should you be reading this.

Welcome! Yes the 4C is a great mouthpiece for those of us at the beginner level. Try online--I was able to find one including the ligature and protector for a very decent price. You may want to consider a Vandoren ("blue box") 1 1/2 or 2 reed. And I agree with the taking of lessons. I will be beginning that after a year or so on my own. I think most instructors will work on flexible schedules. And hang around here! You'll never have so much fun learning!

Miles, welcome ! I understand the realities of work and family. And while there are some good Teach Yourself resources out there, be careful because for every good resource there are two not-so-good ones.

What I suggest to folks just starting out but limited on time, budget, etc is this: take 2 or 3 or 4 lessons from a teacher to start, just to get the most fundamental aspects down (embouchure, breath support, hand and finger positioning, etc). I mean literally even 2 lessons in a month, 2 weeks apart, is gonna be helpful.

Only because many, many 'teach yourself' resources sorta just gloss over some important aspects....and a bad habit which starts taking root is more difficult to reverse than one which is corrected at the outset.
Embouchure stuff is best done at the outset when a live teacher is there to see what you are doing.

Just a thought.

Have fun.

Back
Top Bottom