support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Great Weekend's Music

Young Col

.. depending on your taste of course.
Tonight's Prom on BBC TV 4 (and viewable on i-player) has Daniel Barenboim's second tranche of the complete Beethoven symphonies, with Eroica followed by the 4th. Very good performances of the 1st and, particularly, 2nd last night. There was also very good Richard Strauss (Also Sprach Zarathustra and Last Four Songs) and Sibellius 7 on Thursday.

In the meantime there's Alyn Shipton's Jazz Record Requests on BBC radio 3 at 5 tonight. Always worth a listen as something often comes up that I had not heard or had forgotten and usually at least one track that I have already which shows that someone else has the same tastes as me! Tonight promises some Humphrey Lyttleton and quirky, but excellent, pianist Jimmy Rowles (a particular favourite of Billie Holiday). At midnight Geoffrey Smith's Jazz has a focus on Benny Goodman plus sidemen. Hopefully some of the great swing era quartets with Hampton, Wilson, Krupa, but perhaps also some of the collaborations with Lester Young and, again, Billie Holiday.

Might get an hour's sax practice between replays and just as well I got the lawn cut between showers during the week.

YC

and don't forget the Open :) oooh too much on this weekend !
I just had the minor matter of singing solo for the first time ever in a concert last night, and I debuted on bass viol for the first time in public too! (I might put a blog up about how all this came about....). Followed by an hour's orchestral playing on cello...

Busy weekend....

Last edited by a moderator:
And for your visual and aural entertainment, the Torch is passing through the London Borough of Croydon between the hours of11:20 and 13:55 on Monday, with a lunch break between 12:40 and 13:40.

Thought Croydon had had enough of naked flames at Reeves Corner last year. >:)

But since today the torch is passing through Danson Park, I will be playing here before it reaches me (quartet)
http://www.dansonstables.co.uk/

While tonight a whole big band will try to ignore the Olympics® in Whitechapel, at the White Hart (1, Mile End Road)

...I am just trying to advertise my LAST weekend of music, before I escape the big Painin Theneck 2012™

...I am just trying to advertise my LAST weekend of music, before I escape the big Painin Theneck 2012™

Surely you are not considering suicide, Al? Think again, life is worth it. Just think of.................

Sorry, run out of ideas. >:)

Pity you have the evening gig, Danson Park Lake would be handy. >:)

Surely you are not considering suicide, Al? Think again, life is worth it. Just think of.................

I will accept a very slow death by eating mediterranean food. It can take several decades, but I can wait.

Danson Park Lake is likely to be close for the torch® event.

Well Eroica last night was every bit as good as I hoped. Taking on both Beethoven 5 and 6 tomorrow night seems a massive task.

I said there are always nuggets on Jazz Record Requests. For us saxophonists last night's included some gritty, swinging Earl Bostic, nice Lee Konitz and a surprise - part of Martin Taylor's suite Spirit of Django, recorded in '94, with Dave O'Higgins (Juju's husband of course) on soprano. The suite is to feature in Prom 65 on 31 August, which neatly brings the two threads of my original post together!

Re the torch in Croydon, I am fully expecting the members of CaSLM to be placed under house arrest in case of an en route demo against the poor treatment of musos at the games.

Re the torch in Croydon, I am fully expecting the members of CaSLM to be placed under house arrest in case of an en route demo against the poor treatment of musos at the games.

If the olympic security is as paranoid as US internal security, then you've probably just condemned OG to a holiday in the Tower for the next few weeks. Maybe until after the Paralympics, just in case.

Well that confirms it Kev. I thought a few days away would do him good. It's got a lovely view of the Thames and has its own river gate as well.

Actually so many coloured jerseys being given out I was forgetting who had actually won. Puzzled as to why Wiggs was given a toy lion - 'cos he's English?

SUNNY SUNNY, IT WAS SUNNY! My first open air gig in 8 years with the sun. Unbelievable! The drummer will even need aftersun cream.

Such a funny country and a bad weather forecast system....

But it's much harder in the UK - North sea, gulf stream, jet stream, clouds, hills all messing the forecasters around. While in the Med it's sun in summer and cooler in winter with a little rain. ;}
And in the mid-west USA you can track the weather coming for hundreds of miles. Coastal weather systems are notoriously localised and hard to predict and in the UK you're never that far from the coast.

But it's much harder in the UK - North sea, gulf stream, jet stream, clouds, hills all messing the forecasters around. While in the Med it's sun in summer and cooler in winter with a little rain. ;}

But seven years ago they usually got it right: It will rain on Tuesday at 3pm... They were expecting a cold snap this weekend.

Further research reveals that the gold statue is of Jean D'Arc, obviously the Patron Saint of electricians.
I thought tat was Noah

Back to music:-Isn't the TDF anthem awful.
Not having a TV keeps your brain healthier.

p.s. Didn't the Danson Park lake look inviting, Al?

Not at all: The whole park was packed of people gathering together to see a torch. But the evening gig was populated by an audience apparently interested in music. Strange things happen in the British summer.

Since we touched the subject of leaving this vale of tears....

Back
Top Bottom