support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

G sharp key wont close

jeremyjuicewah

Locality
Costa Blanca Spain
Interesting, may help someone else. Happened last night, very quickly. This morning I took out a rod and oiled it and checked springs etc. With the key depressed the pad moved easily. With the pad depressed the key moved easily. There did not seem to be anything in the link to cause this. But, having nothing else to try I put some cork grease on paper and pulled it through the cork on that interconnecting link and the problem went away immediately. I did not think cork would bind, but it does.
Cheers all
Mike

Can use sejf adhesive Teflon tape as well. Makes a big difference on sliding parts.

Any time one key is regulated to close another, if there is even a very slight sliding motion, removing friction is an important step in properly "setting up" a saxophone. Cork is an effective quieting material, but it a poor choice for that location because it has a tendency to compress and creates a lot of friction.

Lubricating the cork with cork grease or perhaps paraffin wax can help, but a better long term fix would be to fit teflon tubing over the barrel and to put a thin layer of synthetic felt on the arm from the G# touch.

On G# key arms and front F Mechanisms where there is as John says a slight sliding motion, I either do as John does with the teflon sleeving or use tech cork/rubco laminated with teflon.

Its obviously important. I will have a shop around on the web and lay in some stuff for that.

When I bought my Low A Grassi last year, one of the problems it had that the seller didn't want to address was the G# occaisionally sticking open. He needed to sell it regardless.
What I found was the low C# roller pin was backing out and catching the bottom of the G# spatula. Three seconds with my MusicMedic screwdrivers and it's played perfect ever since.

Sounds like you got a bargain then. Love it when that happens.
This was like "the best deal Ever" for me.
One little ding on the front of the bell just between B &Bb. Gone now.
Keywork is tight, pads Excellent. Just a little wear on the bell key sliders; shrink tubing will cure that.
98%+ lacquer.
Some scratches below the upper bell lip facing the upper stack keys, Micro's Nu-Shine polish has eliminated half of those.
Case: Outside Very Good, Inside Very Very Good. And, who knows, maybe one of less than 2000 ever made?
20130721_001802-1-1.jpg

My whole point being though, I was looking at the G# linkages to see if a cork/slider was the culprit and the solution was so incredibly simple and almost overlooked.

Last edited:
Congrats. That is a pretty thing, mine is a bit bashed about, but then so am I.