support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner front f key

SopranoSimon

Account Closed
Locality
Darlington
hi, the front f key on my soprano sax has lost its cork from the back of it.... could this be why middle c dosnt play properly?

Losing the cork would cause the C to open too far. I would fix the cork.

its the little pad that closes when i press middle c down that dosnt fully shut, ur saying its cos the corks missing from front f?

Simon it's a fundamental principle of saxophone construction that all components do a job

If you follow this principle when a piece of cork is missing you can expect consequences

It's quite difficult for us to advise you on the mechanics of your sax without pictures. If you leaf through the website you'll see most technical questions are accompanied by visual clues. I don't know of a blind saxophone technician.

Can I second the suggestions in other posts that you find a friendly tech to take a look at your horn and tell you what needs done? In another thread I recommended sax technique literature. In this thread I can recommend Steve Howards most excellent instruction manual and his entire website for good measure?

Good luck in getting your soprano set-up just right

Ivan

Last edited by a moderator:
In this thread I can recommend Steve Howards most excellent instruction manual and his entire website for good measure?

I echo what you said, Ivan. I did that as well on another thread...

Simon, pretty well all the questions you have asked on this forum so far are covered on Stephen Howard's website - and if not, then in his very reasonably priced manual.

Like all good authors he took great care in wording his descriptions of problems and their remedies and there are lots of photographs by way of illustration.

By far the best answer for all your queries is to:

visit the Stephen Howard's website regularly and read and re-read it thoroughly.

Buy his manual.

Ask your teacher who will do what we can't - which is to inspect and test your horn.

Do these things in whichever order seems best... but do them. You will wish you did them earlier.

Last edited by a moderator: