support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds From Javas to Alexanders…

Chris98

Hello,

I need to get some more reeds and just checked online, since when did a box of ten Vandoren Javas cost a few pennies short of £20? That’s nearly £6 more than when I first started buying them less than two years ago! Okay minor rant over.

This has lead me to consider Alexanders for the first time as they are now only about £1.50 more than the Vandorens.

I play Vandoren Java 3s on alto and tenor, are Alexanders equivalent in strength?

What are your experiences with the different types, Superial, DC & NY? The Superial seem to be the closest to the Javas but I also wonder about the NY?

All the best,

Chris

Here are some reed comparison sites- they all vary a little.

I get mine from Reeds Direct and now use Marca Jazz 3 which seem to last forever! I just love 'em.

http://www.reedsandmore.com.au/comparison_chart.pdf

I have some Marca Jazz 2s and 2.5s I don't use now and I also have a load of Java 2.5s and ZZ 2.5s that I should really sell - all still sealed - if you are interested. All tenor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris - I've played on DC and now NY for a few years but sorry i can't compare to Java as I've never played them. I've always found Alexanders to be consistent and very playable straight from the tin. I can fully recommend them. Also Hemke which I've just been given 5 to try - very playable too.

Here are some reed comparison sites- they all vary a little.

I get mine from Reeds Direct and now use Marca Jazz 3 which seem to last forever! I just love 'em.

http://www.reedsandmore.com.au/comparison_chart.pdf

I have some Marca Jazz 2s and 2.5s I don't use now and I also have a load of Java 2.5s and ZZ 2.5s that I should really sell - all still sealed - if you are interested. All tenor.

Hi Ian,

I've not tried Marca reeds, maybe they should go on the list. Thanks for the offer of the reeds but I'm pretty much settled on the Java '3' strength or equivalent, I recently tried a couple of 2.5 Javas I had lying around but found they didn't work for me as well as the 3s. Looking at the reed strength chart it looks like the Alexanders and Vandorens are equivalent in strength.

Take care,

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris - I've played on DC and now NY for a few years but sorry i can't compare to Java as I've never played them. I've always found Alexanders to be consistent and very playable straight from the tin. I can fully recommend them. Also Hemke which I've just been given 5 to try - very playable too.

Hi Sue,

Good to see you over here on the new forum.

How would you say the DCs and the NYs differ tone wise? Good to hear they are consistent, I can't remember if your playing alto or tenor at the moment?

Take care,

Chris

Hi. If you want to sell the tenor reeds I would be interested, with percentage to Pete's charity of course.

Hi Sue,

Good to see you over here on the new forum.

How would you say the DCs and the NYs differ tone wise? Good to hear they are consistent, I can't remember if your playing alto or tenor at the moment?

Take care,

Chris

I play them on mainly alto. For me the NY has a bigger bolder sound than the DC (using a metal yani m/p) If I use an ebonite it is still brighter than the DC. I find both very rich and full sounding. I have some 3's on alto which I find too hard and would happily send you one to try.

Ilove the DC's on my Alto set up, but just prefer Francois Louis Excellence reeds which I play on Tenor and Alto.

My only experience of Java's are on Soprano sax. Originally I used to like them but far prefer Marca Jazz reeds which are my main soprano reed, having tried all the Vandorens (preferred the ZZ) and Rico Royal & Jazz Selects. It does depend on your preferred sound, which is inevitably subjective.

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Morning OG!

I've certainly been aware of them, but not tried them. What are they like, apart from being consistent:confused: What was your motivation to try them -were they a job lot, or were they only available in 5.5 strength from Myatt's in their sale?

Kind regards
Have a nice day

5.5? You wimp! Play nothing under eight and a halfs. No wonder the country is going to the dogs etc., etc. >:)

Adam, the shop manager, offered them to me for a small amount when I was buying my last Fibracell and the reedholders are so good that I couldn't refuse. (Yes I know, he saw me coming.)

Probably this information is not much use as they are being used on a RPC 105 rollover that was requested and designed to be 'Ballady, bluesy and breathy'. Unless there is another of these wonderful devices in your or anyone else's possession, cannot estimate how they would work for you.

Another thing to be taken into account, just had a sabatical from the saxophone to think about where I really wanted to go, so the embouchure is a bit soft.

I play them on mainly alto. For me the NY has a bigger bolder sound than the DC (using a metal yani m/p) If I use an ebonite it is still brighter than the DC. I find both very rich and full sounding. I have some 3's on alto which I find too hard and would happily send you one to try.

Hi Sue,

Thanks for your offer but alas 'Add to basketitis' got to me first and I have a tin of Superials ready and waiting for my current Java to loose its charms. So you are using a metal Yanigisawa mouthpiece, I picked one up off E-bay, an 'unwanted gift' but my teacher is trying it out at the moment.

Ilove the DC's on my Alto set up, but just prefer Francois Louis Excellence reeds which I play on Tenor and Alto.

My only experience of Java's are on Soprano sax. Originally I used to like them but far prefer Marca Jazz reeds which are my main soprano reed, having tried all the Vandorens (preferred the ZZ) and Rico Royal & Jazz Selects. It does depend on your preferred sound, which is inevitably subjective.

Kind regards

Hi Tom,

I'm now wondering if I should have gone for the DCs, the Superials are supposed to be closest to the Javas and the DC slightly darker, richer or less bright I think, oh well you only find out by giving them a go.

Trying Daniels at the moment, just running them in. Might even replace the Fibracells as they do seem consistent. Anybody else used or heard of them?

Dear Mr Old Git (Usual touching of forelock etc as a sign of respect for ones elders)

Never heard of Daniels, did a bit of hunting around on the web, still none the wiser, but I now know where I can get them. I'd be very interested to hear what you make of them.

All the best & thanks for you help,

Chris