All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Reeds Alexander Superial reeds

Bobby G

I've used these in the past, and have just put an oldie on the tenor which sounds wonderful, richer than the Rico Royals I have been using, and less buzzy than RJS reeds, therefore I'd like to get some more. The problem is, the Superials don't seem to be widely available. Any ideas where I can get them? I'd prefer to walk into a shop rather than get them online, unless online is the only way. Thanks, Bob

Saxdiva

Older, wiser, should know better....
Hi Bob,

If you don't mind too much getting them online, Dawkes sell them for much less than elsewhere and have fantastic delivery. I use Superial DC on alto and tenor and think they're fabulous in terms of sound and consistency. Reeds Direct are another later native for great prices but stock levels aren't always great.

Dee

wol916

Plenty on line I usually buy a tin at a time, I like the fact you never seem to get a bad reed so on line is not as risky as with some other makes.

Warren

dooce

I've used these in the past, and have just put an oldie on the tenor which sounds wonderful, richer than the Rico Royals I have been using, and less buzzy than RJS reeds, therefore I'd like to get some more. The problem is, the Superials don't seem to be widely available. Any ideas where I can get them? I'd prefer to walk into a shop rather than get them online, unless online is the only way. Thanks, Bob

I would think WWR at Cambridge will stock them if you want a walk-in service.

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
I would think WWR at Cambridge will stock them if you want a walk-in service.

Which is the physical shop presence of Reeds Direct. I wonder whether they offer the same price. I have had very good experiences with Reeds Direct, with rapid service, free postage and a helpful attitude.

But I have also had great experiences with Howarths, Dawkes and others.

Rhys

bariandyf

reeds direct - usually the cheapest around £29.25 versus £46 at sax.co.uk and £42.50 at Howarth's - I don't know how reeds direct do them so cheap.

wol916

I once asked an electrical retailer "how come your fridges are so much cheaper than everyone else" he said "buy 10,000 and you can sell them at that price as well".

Saxdiva

Older, wiser, should know better....
reeds direct - usually the cheapest around £29.25 versus £46 at sax.co.uk and £42.50 at Howarth's - I don't know how reeds direct do them so cheap.

Dawkes price is the same as Reeds Direct. Had good service from Reeds Direct, Dawkes is exceptional for service. I can collect from sax.co.uk and usually prefer face to face but with Alexander reeds, no contest.

kernewegor

Bon vivant, raconteur and twit
Superials sound as if they ought to come from the Bristol areal - you know, where they talk about primul donnul ballerinuls...

I've dealt with Rapid Reeds several times. They are rapid, and some reeds are available singly (and very reasonably priced) which is handy if you want to try a different brand or strength. I get the impression that their stock levels aren't high across the board, but if they have what you want they give great service.

I have just got some RJS from Ackerman's - Rapid Reeds didn't have the strength I wanted to try in stock. Ackermans seem to have an enormous stock of an amazing variety of brands and their prices looked keen - well worth a browse online.

I looked at Dawkes but they were a couple of quid dearer 'cos they charge postage...

Changing the subject slightly, I once got a mouthpiece from a shop in Carlisle and for some reason instead of doing it from their website I had to phone them. They were very friendly and efficient and let me have it for the price advertised online even though it was out of date. I can't find the invoice, can't remember their name, but maybe someone here knows of them. They struck me as very good to deal with...

Last edited by a moderator:

Bobby G

Good suggestions so far, thanks. There are a couple of shops I occasionally go near when I am working so I will drop in, or order online if I'm not in the area quite soon. My main reason for wanting to back to the Superials, apart from they have a sound and feel that I like is that, as has been remarked on by a few people, they are very consistent so it's rare to get a complete clunker in the tin.

wol916

I use the Superial DC as mentioned earlier by Dee and found them to have a better feel and sound with the metal mouth piece but it's a personal thing we are in the end all individuals.

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom