support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

From Hong Kong

Kingsleyhk

Locality
Nr. Bandung, Indonesia
Been playing for over 50 years - think I'm just starting to get the hang of it.

Any Hong Kong sax players please get in touch.

Welcome to the caff©, Kingsley.

Fifty years?

ENJOY!

Thanks for the response - looking forward to getting involved.

Hi Kingsley and welcome to the cafe. I've been playing for quite a while myself and I'm still looking forward to getting the hang of it.:)

Jim.

Thanks for the welcome to all replies.

FYI: Selmer Series 80 MK II tenor with Link 5* or Dukoff D7: Elkhart soprano with rubber Bari 64

Hi Kingsley

Welcome aboard hope you enjoy the forum, does the humidity out there wreak havoc on your sax?I've just moved on to a Selmer myself and it's a whole new ball game in terms of depth of tone even makes a novice like me sound reasonable.

All the best...john

Hi Kingsley

Welcome to the CAFÉ:D

Chris

Hi and welcome to the cafe :)

Welcome from me too:)

Enjoy the cafe

Jx

I have to wonder what Kingsley's Aims are........................................................................;}

So, having played for 50+ years do you use a small tip opening on your mouthpiece and still play a vintage sax with self prepared reeds?

Kingsley - a Big Welcome to Cafe Saxophone and look forward to hearing your contributions over the coming weeks and months.

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

I hadn't owned a tenor for some years but I bought the Selmer second hand in Paris in 1993 - serial number suggests it was made in 1988 - and I got a very nice letter from Henri Selmer confirming that. I presume it then still had the original pads and I played it successfully (sort of) until a year ago when couple of pads got iffy and I bit the bullet and had it completely overhauled and repadded. The pads are the best my Hong Kong tech guy could source (from Rome) and it's played like a dream since, with no problems with humidity that I'm aware of (if you're a guitar player here, it's a whole different problem!) I also replaced the neck. The sax is black enamel with gold keys - looks fantastic - but the previous owner had sanded off all the lacquer on the neck - not very skillfully - and it look pretty ordinary by comparison with the body. Plus I always had difficult tuning across the octaves - thus if low A was in tune top A would be flat and vice versa. So I sported for a Steve Goodison neck (in gold) and it has been fantastic. I know he gets a dubious press in some other forums but the neck looks good and - more importantly - has fixed my tuning problem. Sorry to drone on John but I was in the zone!

The Selmer is 1988 - and I'm alternating between the Link 5* and the Dukoff D7. I play mostly with rock bands these days and find the Dukoff best for that as it really cuts through. The problem is I don't get much chance to practice and the Dukoff gets pretty unforgiving if my embouchure has weakened. I've been experimenting with reeds for a while - and currently am using a Rico Plasticover 2.5. No real focus to my aims - just to learn more about the most fascinating instrument there is!

Welcome to the cafe Kinglsleyhk :thumb:

Enjoy :)

I hadn't owned a tenor for some years but I bought the Selmer second hand in Paris in 1993 - serial number suggests it was made in 1988 - and I got a very nice letter from Henri Selmer confirming that. I presume it then still had the original pads and I played it successfully (sort of) until a year ago when couple of pads got iffy and I bit the bullet and had it completely overhauled and repadded. The pads are the best my Hong Kong tech guy could source (from Rome) and it's played like a dream since, with no problems with humidity that I'm aware of (if you're a guitar player here, it's a whole different problem!) I also replaced the neck. The sax is black enamel with gold keys - looks fantastic - but the previous owner had sanded off all the lacquer on the neck - not very skillfully - and it look pretty ordinary by comparison with the body. Plus I always had difficult tuning across the octaves - thus if low A was in tune top A would be flat and vice versa. So I sported for a Steve Goodison neck (in gold) and it has been fantastic. I know he gets a dubious press in some other forums but the neck looks good and - more importantly - has fixed my tuning problem. Sorry to drone on John but I was in the zone!

Not at all,great stuff. After 50yrs you've probably forgotten more than most of us will ever know (as they say)..All the best john

Learning something new everyday - even if it's only in the Telegraph crossword!

Back
Top Bottom