support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Free alternative to cubase?

littleplum

Locality
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Hi Folks

I have a friend who uses cubase to work with midi files and turns out some really good backing tracks. Does anyone know of any free software that does something similar?

regards

Dave

Dave, I think that the best free alternative is probably going to be Audacity. Even though it's free, it's still quite a powerful little tool.

Hi Taz

Didnt realise Audacity could do that. I have just tried to import a midi file and when I pressed play it came up with the message

Error while opening sound device.Please check the output device and the project sample rate.

IS that referring to the soundcard? Help???????

Not sure to be honest, but if you want to play around with midi files try Anvil Studio, I've just down loaded it myself so haven't had the chance to really play around with it yet, but it plays the midi files that I've got.

Hi Taz

Didnt realise Audacity could do that. I have just tried to import a midi file and when I pressed play it came up with the message

Error while opening sound device.Please check the output device and the project sample rate.

IS that referring to the soundcard? Help???????

Dave, You need to install lame as well for midi support. There are links to it from the audactiy site.

But... Audacity only allows you to create/play the files, it doesn't generate backing tracks from chords. Someone recently posted a link to another package that'll do that. I'll try and find it.

Hi Taz

I will download anvil in a minute, thanks.

Hi Kev

My friend actually takes an existing midi file and tweaks it to make it fit the situation its needed for, for example I played at a wedding on sunday and the bride wanted the wedding march. We downloaded a midi file and after listening we changed the type of organ that was playing plus added dynamics etc to make it work well with the tenor. This is the sort of thing that I am trying to have a go at on the cheap.

As far as jamming tracks and tracks to play scales over I use both band in a box and chord pulse lite (freebie)

Lets see what anvil has to offer.

cheers folks