PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Ebay and the saxophone purchase...

Steve Stockham

So, here I was sitting at my computer and just browsing ebay for a lark when I decided to check out the saxophone section to see what's cook'n. I decided to check out the Keilwerth saxes as we were able to find a mint example of an EX90 Series III at a pawn shop and I wanted to see what the going price is for these saxes now. Judging by the bidding prices (not asking!) we got a steal of a deal (yes!!) I was checking out the SX90R's and seeing pricing that reminded me of MkVI's and ST90's that were only a couple of hundred dollars!

I was just about to go elsewhere when up popped an ad for an EX90 Series II Tenor sax in the same black nickle with gold keywork that my son's alto is and it was in mint condition as well! The starting price was $1125 which I thought quite reasonable with a "Buy it Now" price of $1810. My boy has expressed a desire to go to tenor sax after next year when they will let him and I am encouraging him to do so if he really wants to. This sax would be, visually, a perfect match for his alto making a striking set! I "bit the bullet" and put in a bid of $1125 and then decided after thinking it over, to increase my bid to the "Buy it Now" price plus one dollar.

I just found out that I got it for the maximum price I had posted! The only way that could have happened is if someone put in the "Buy it Now" price and tried to snipe the sax at the last moment! (It turns out that adding that single dollar was a good idea after all!:sax:

I know that there are a lot of people that look at ebay transactions with a great deal of wariness these days but I have had nothing but good experiences with it so far! The sax is going to be a surprise for my son and I am looking forward to working on the tenor lessons with him. This is my Christmas present to myself! I was able to get the sax my son wanted at a reasonable price (even if he won't play it until next summer.) :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always been happy with ebay - 86 purchases on, but never bought a sax. Picked up spotless metal Runyon Quantum alto and tenor mouthpieces for a total of £80, amongst others. My experience is always to be cautious around the more obvious stuff - Otto link, Meyer, Selmer and soon - but go for the less well known stuff, which is unlikely to be dodgy.

Sounds great news - glad you are happy about it!

Sounds like a nice instrument. No reason your son can't play it at home,even if the school won't let him.

I've bought a few saxes on ebay, always got what was described, although one was borderline on the decription, but very OK for the price. But others have had bad experiences. Good photos and a good seller are a must. Without these I put a very low personal limit on what I'm prepared to pay.

On the ebay sale, if you go into the transaction, you'll be able to call up the bid history - and that'll tell you exactly what happened.

Hmmm...... it turns out that there was one gentleman that started bidding up in increments over a 10 minute span starting at $1300 and raising it to $1801(!) If he had gone one more increment he would have gotten it! Oh well, go figure...

I have so many mixed feelings about ebay.
On the positive side the buyer and seller have a worldwide shop window (even if the seller wont ship internationally you get a feel for things that you cant touch or see in your local music shop) and you can have direct communication.

On the negative side I don't actually like the standard pricing it can bring.
Meaning, as soon as a new ceiling is reached when a sought after item is sold. Everyone else selling one tries for that price.
That is just the way it is I know!
But I used to enjoy choosing who to buy from after appraising the sellers independent valuation of their goods for sale.

As an example, if the financial climate ever improved dramatically (yeah right...) and NICE SPECIMEN MKVI tenors started flying out sold sold sold @ £5K. It would take less than a few weeks for the starting price of £5K on even the way less desirable ones to be offered.
That kind of thing already happened to get prices where they are right now. Not so easy to feel comfortable that you are paying a fair price anymore. Particularly as we all know that the seller says ugly ones play best. Or the this one was believed to be owned by a student who lived 3 streets from Stan Getz who tried to buy it from him. :doh:

Well... you know where I'm coming from.

and then decided after thinking it over, to increase my bid to the "Buy it Now" price plus one dollar.

I just found out that I got it for the maximum price I had posted! The only way that could have happened is if someone put in the "Buy it Now" price and tried to snipe the sax at the last moment! (It turns out that adding that single dollar was a good idea after all!:sax:

Unless Ebay works differently in the States, I believe that when the a bid is entered, even if it is way below the Buy It Now price, then the option to buy-it-now is removed. You could have saved a dollar if you had just Bought-It-Now! ;}

Unless Ebay works differently in the States, I believe that when the a bid is entered, even if it is way below the Buy It Now price, then the option to buy-it-now is removed. You could have saved a dollar if you had just Bought-It-Now! ;}

And a lot of stress.

Hmmm...... it turns out that there was one gentleman that started bidding up in increments over a 10 minute span starting at $1300 and raising it to $1801(!) If he had gone one more increment he would have gotten it! Oh well, go figure...

Guys who do this just waste their and everyone else's time. It's pointless, it doesn't hide your limit and it doesn't get goods any cheaper. I sometimes suspect it's an underbidder pusing the price up, but if it's someone with even a moderate history, it probably isn't.

I dont get it---if you buy it now,its yours. How can someone bid more and outbid you, ?????

I didn't choose the "Buy it Now" option. I went for the low-ball price hoping for an even better deal! I decided that my maximum bid would be $1 over the "Buy it Now" price. Thirty minutes before the auction ended, someone incrementally bid the price up to just under the price I had set. They stopped at $1801 and my last bid of $1811 then kicked in. Actually, the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that somebody did push up the price! The increments were in $50 jumps and my last one was only $10... Oh well, I didn't pay more than I was willing to pay and I still got a good deal! I'm happy.

Ebay frightens me. Bought a Bari there once. Got bent over. I think that in many cases it IS the devil's junkyard!!

Ebay frightens me. Bought a Bari there once. Got bent over. I think that in many cases it IS the devil's junkyard!!

eBay is a 'buyer beware' environment. To buy safely you need to check item descriptions and photos carefully, ask sensible questions and check out seller feedback. Stay clear of anything which looks anything like it might be dodgy. If you buy from anyone other than a knowledgeable player, assume the sax will need an overhaul. Sellers who don't play the sax (watch out for mouthpieces on upside down, on stands back to front and descriptions of 'valves') should be regarded with caustion, as they won't be able to give any indication of playability. Applying these rules, I've bought over 30 saxes on eBay without getting burnt once. In fact, I've only been let down twice, and in both cases it was the result of trusting the integrity of sellers on SOTW. In one case the items were never sent and the seller disappeared from the forum, in the other two saxes in one deal were both described as playable, and neither was, in any sense. Ironically, the latter seller is very vocal in his criticism of others' sales......

I've had good and bad experiences.

Bad: Bought a Hanson from a non-player. It arrived without mouthpiece, strap, anything - which the ad didn't mention. Also without a bung in the end! So the octave mech was buggered, along with a few other keys. Cost me about £80 to fix - which was my second mistake. The seller refused to admit there was anything wrong with it (despite not being able to play), and Paypal gave me the choice of a refund or lump it. As I'd already paid for the repairs I lumped it. Then sold it on at a loss. The seller closed their eBay account soon afterwards. But it got me started playing, so not all bad.

Good: Bought an 80's Yani for a decent price from a pro musician. The ad even had a few sound clips (it doesn't sound as good when I play it though!). Got proper honest replies when I asked questions before buying it.

I wouldn't buy a full sax from a non-player now unless I could easily go and try it out.

Here's the follow-up: The Keilwerth EX90 Series II (black-nickel w/gold keywork) showed up on Friday, 12/16 and the horn is gorgeous!! Even at $1811, I feel that I snagged a great deal! With the exception of two or three tiny scratches, the horn is mint! I'm very happy!

Good to hear. Hope it plays as good as it looks. Enjoy, let us know how it goes.

Good and bad for me too, but very happy with the guban tenor purchased a couple of weeks ago, £65 and it plays throughout the range and sounds ok too. Brought a trumpet a while back with a sticking valve, turned out to be wedged in as someone had tried to hammer it out from below, tried to get the money back but the seller had disappeared!!!
Only pay what you can afford to lose or be very careful.

Congrats on your purchase,glad that you are happy.
I have bought many mouthpieces on Ebay but only one sax which was a vintage Regent alto which needs a full overhaul got it for £80 but it had a Selmer Soloist D mpc with it so i was more than well pleased.
The previous owner said it was a Berg larsen but it turned to be a Selmer,it was only the lig that was a Berg and he/she never took of the lig off to see Selmer underneath.

Hope you enjoy your Keilwerth

Brian

Back
Top Bottom