• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Beginner Saxes Draft for comment: Pan American Saxophone History

Messages
32
Location
PA USA
Folks... I've drafted a compiled history of Pan American saxophones. This is needed because Conn's (the parent company's) factory records were destroyed around 1969/70 -- Pan American was actively making saxophones from 1920 to 1956 +/- a year, so its manufacturer history went up in smoke. What's left now is in bits and pieces scattered across the internet -- much of it worth preserving. I've compiled much of it into a single reference PDF. This is my first review draft, so I'm sure there are issues to be ironed out. I'd appreciate feedback if you have time for a lookover. It should be accessible to you and downloadable from this link, in US letter size format. (Sorry, it's lengthy. It's a reference tome not a thriller. But give it a skim when you can and let me know of anything that pops out.) I'm a business writer, brand manager, and indifferent sax player with a penchant for things Conn related.

 
I don't have time now to read it in detail, but I have a correction - the postwar 58M and 60M weren't launched until late 1947, with retail availability beginning November 1 (per an advertisement in Music Journal). It and other period ads strongly suggest that there had been no Pan-American production since before the war.

I'd also note that most of the serial number chart doesn't apply to clarinets - they'd been separate for most of the run and were combined at 100000, which is why there's a gap in the saxophone numbers.
 
Folks... I've drafted a compiled history of Pan American saxophones. This is needed because Conn's (the parent company's) factory records were destroyed around 1969/70 -- Pan American was actively making saxophones from 1920 to 1956 +/- a year, so its manufacturer history went up in smoke.
I read though your Conn compendium PDF, very well organized and shows considerable research.

Plus, your posting this allows any others who have additional info, photos, etc. a starting place to contact you.

Interestingly I found that LeBlanc, both US and France had their share of factory fires destroying valuable records. I've been trying to find more info, not necessarily to compile a compendium history like yours, but to nail down further info on my Vito altos, tenor and bari.
 
Folks... I've drafted a compiled history of Pan American saxophones. This is needed because Conn's (the parent company's) factory records were destroyed around 1969/70 -- Pan American was actively making saxophones from 1920 to 1956 +/- a year, so its manufacturer history went up in smoke. What's left now is in bits and pieces scattered across the internet -- much of it worth preserving. I've compiled much of it into a single reference PDF. This is my first review draft, so I'm sure there are issues to be ironed out. I'd appreciate feedback if you have time for a lookover. It should be accessible to you and downloadable from this link, in US letter size format. (Sorry, it's lengthy. It's a reference tome not a thriller. But give it a skim when you can and let me know of anything that pops out.) I'm a business writer, brand manager, and indifferent sax player with a penchant for things Conn related.

Thx for the draft.

Another individual, member Badenia on SOTW, did some of this around a decade ago.

@Stocker, do you have his actual name and contact info ?

Maybe pass it along to @Greychatter. If he is still around, might be worth cross referencing each other....
 
Badenia’s research — in particular his serial number survey of 995 instruments— is the core data set I’ve used, as attributed. In SotW threads he mentions working on an update to it, but nothing has emerged. When last I checked he was inactive on the site. But he’s the best source I’ve had to draw upon.
 
@Greychatter what a fantastic job you’ve done with gathering all this information. Thank you for taking the time and sharing.

As a suggestion to other members. Do read the full guide before commenting. The author qualifies/ answers all the variables by the end. Complete with citations to sources used in each section.
 
Thx for the draft.

Another individual, member Badenia on SOTW, did some of this around a decade ago.

@Stocker, do you have his actual name and contact info ?

Maybe pass it along to @Greychatter. If he is still around, might be worth cross referencing each other....
I have his name, but lost his e-mail address when the university e-mail account I'd used to correspond with him was closed. I sent him a PM on SOTW last year looking to update contact information, but he hasn't logged in there.
 
Folks... Here's v2 of the Pan Am Guide draft. This version has a lot of edits throughout, add'l illustrations, index, and a few other things. As before, constructive feedback is cheerfully accepted. I've got a couple of folks to run this by who are not on the forum so I'll leave this here to percolate and hope to wrap it up by end of week. (Then, I'll restart work on my C melody sax guide, which is probably 90% done.) Thanks again for the feedback so far.

 
Question: Pan American made a simplified tuning device on some of its horns that was *not* the patented Conn microtuner. I've been assuming there were no Pan Ams with microtuners. Then I saw this at auction. It certainly is a Pan American stencil sax: stamped 42M with drawn tone holes. But that sure looks like a Conn microtuner on the neck. Of course, the neck could be a replacement. The auction listing is here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/137753175062. Thoughts?
IMG_4020.webp


IMG_4021.webp


IMG_4022.webp
IMG_4023.webp
 
Question: Pan American made a simplified tuning device on some of its horns that was *not* the patented Conn microtuner. I've been assuming there were no Pan Ams with microtuners.
I saw the notation about the non-patented PA microtuner. I would have guessed its appearance looking like a Holton tuning slide….. I’ve never seen one in person, but the device is visible on some catalogs.
1789940874494.webp


What the 42m above shows is certainly worthy of assessment.
1) Like @JayeNM mentioned above, Anything could be ordered from the factory.
2) A dealer could have ordered the upgrade neck for customer.
3) it’s off another unit.

1922, the Conn C Melody was sold with straight neck & microtuner. Swan neck was an available option. 1920-22 swan neck was standard and microtuner was optional. Information that was publicly advertised being the point here.
 
The tuning slide technology best I can tell, first appeared around 1927 on the Holton Rudy Wiedoeft model.
This being on alto & tenor only. I do not know or have researched if Frank Holton applied for a patent. Honestly I don’t think it was worth the effort. So, PA making the announcement after 1927 makes sense.
IMG_3674.webp

The slide system works but is not very durable. Secondly, the slide is prone to becoming stuck inside the mouthpiece. It’s not uncommon to see necks corked directly. The slide long gone.
IMG_3676.webp
IMG_3677.webp

1789949314214.webp

1789949337147.webp


The clamp was not attached. If an adjustment was desired. It was a bit of fiddling to do.
1789949393916.webp

1789949431048.webp




 
Question: Pan American made a simplified tuning device on some of its horns that was *not* the patented Conn microtuner. I've been assuming there were no Pan Ams with microtuners. Then I saw this at auction. It certainly is a Pan American stencil sax: stamped 42M with drawn tone holes. But that sure looks like a Conn microtuner on the neck. Of course, the neck could be a replacement. The auction listing is here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/137753175062. Thoughts?View attachment 37282

View attachment 37283

View attachment 37284View attachment 37285
 
I have a Pan Am 64M alto serial number 46676, that Badenia says was made in the 1930s and it has a microtuner neck, unlike the Conn design and a bit different from the pics in the posts above.. Years ago I posted a raft of photos of it on SOTW.
Here's the link to those photos:
https://www.saxontheweb.net/media/albums/pan-american-alto-model-64m-by-conn.884/
If that doesn't work I can try to repost some of those pics here. Meanwhile, here is the neck and microtuner.
microtuner neck installed.webp
pan am 64M micro tuner.webp
 
Folks... Here's v2 of the Pan Am Guide draft. This version has a lot of edits throughout, add'l illustrations, index, and a few other things. As before, constructive feedback is cheerfully accepted. I've got a couple of folks to run this by who are not on the forum so I'll leave this here to percolate and hope to wrap it up by end of week. (Then, I'll restart work on my C melody sax guide, which is probably 90% done.) Thanks again for the feedback so far.

Hi @Greychatter
Is there a version 3 imminent?
I ask as when I follow the links, both V1 & V2 are allegedly in your trash and I can't view them.
Thanks.
 
I have a Pan Am 64M alto serial number 46676, that Badenia says was made in the 1930s and it has a microtuner neck, unlike the Conn design and a bit different from the pics in the posts above.. Years ago I posted a raft of photos of it on SOTW.
Here's the link to those photos:
https://www.saxontheweb.net/media/albums/pan-american-alto-model-64m-by-conn.884/
If that doesn't work I can try to repost some of those pics here. Meanwhile, here is the neck and microtuner.View attachment 37506View attachment 37505
Hi Dave, great to see you here. Thanks for sharing this information !
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Forum statistics

Topics
32,287
Messages
576,870
Members
8,093
Latest member
catct
Back
Top Bottom