support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Accessories does anyone know of a sitting stand lol

markyboy

Locality
essex
I've had to give up playing my sax for the last couple of years due to a bad back and I was wondering if anyone knew of any stands that you can use to support the sax while you play so the weight isn't round the neck. If anyone has heard of ant such stand I would be very grateful thanks. MARKYBOY

There is a baritone stand that does this - JIFFY - I'm not sure if it can be addapted for your needs, but with a little skill I feel sure it could. Not cheap at over £300 but they have sold for as little as £75 second hand.

Or how about hanging it from a hook & rope from the ceiling (perhaps ending the dog walk at the 19th might have assisted my creativity!).

welcome by the way!

You can rest an alto on the seat betwen your legs. A lot of people seem to play like this anyway. I would still use a sling for safety. Have you tried playing with a harness?

Welcome to the cafe.

Jim.

I saw a used seat stand on ebay a while back. Not sure if it was the jiffy mentioned above. Had a chair or stool, with a built in adjustable stand to the right.

Would be easy to get someone to make one fór you, I think.

Sax on the web discussion ...

This has been discussed here - may give you some ideas ...

Link Here ;}

Also - Google search gives some other sites which may be worth exploring ...

Link Here ;}

Hope you find something ...

I've had to give up playing my sax for the last couple of years due to a bad back and I was wondering if anyone knew of any stands that you can use to support the sax while you play so the weight isn't round the neck. If anyone has heard of ant such stand I would be very grateful thanks. MARKYBOY

I made one from an old score stand.

Attachments

• stand.jpg
    stand.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 195
Markyboy - what sax are we talking about here Alto/tenor/Bari?

Hi all thanks for.the advice. I should.have mentioned that i have an alto and a tenor (though i don't use this at the moment as it needs a good service as it was an heirloom) I do have a harness rather than a neck strap will try with sax between my legs other than that may buy a cheap stand and get a welder to customize a base for me think that may be the cheapest way any other suggestions though are always welcome. Thanks MARKYBOY

Made one myself from a camera stand topped by the head of a rubber plunger. Easy to do - with some patience it gives you a good, but not inflexible playing position with the alto. It is not ideal, though, as you have to choose the right chair and work on your sitting position to get the plunger as close to your crotch as possible. It can be used in a standing position too, if you have room for it, but it might get awkward on stage ;-) Still, it helped me out. Another option is the Sax-on from quodlibet.com. I have used their Phred for clarinet, and that was a good piece of equipment.
Best of luck
Jesper

Last edited by a moderator:
The plunger will come in handy when the men's room toilet gets plugged up and ya gotta go. In my experience the men's loo in bars are the closest to being in a septic tank you can get (although this might not bother Sepos).

The plunger, being concave will also come in handy as a recipient should your beer-filled bladder burst will playing. Just empty it on the stage floor pretending it's spit condensation from your sax. I saw Ravi Coletrane empty out a cup of it from his tenor right there next to the side of his mic at a concert here a few years ago. I found it very funny.

The plunger also comes in handy as a stopper in the event that a trombonist is behind you.

Last edited: