support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Difference in yanagisawa saxophones

I think for detail you will have to do your own research. I can give a rough idea but this is from memory so take with a grain of salt: 901 series had some upgrades to intonation from 900, these were nominally "entry level pro" models. 901 II series was intended for local market and to be less expensive so plastic thumb hook and L hand thumb rest, and simplified front F key, probably among other things. 991 dual necks 'pro' model.

I feel you'd be better off explaining why you're interested in the differences?
Are you, for example, looking to buy one of the models mentioned? If so, is it a first instrument - or perhaps an upgrade from an existing one?
Is there a particular feature you're looking for? A bright sound? A dark sound? An all-rounder?

Either will be absolutely fine. In general terms a 'mark II' model only has incremental upgrades (excluding the Selmer SA80 I and II) - and it's often the case than many players consider them retrogrades (see Yamaha YAS62).
If you can play both horns side-by-side and detect a preference, go with what you feel.
If you're buying on spec, get the horn that represents the best deal (price/condition).
If the 900 models are particularly cheap, they'd be worth having.
In short, anything by Yanagisawa is a good bet.

And if you can run to it, the 991 is worth the extra. It's very similar to the 901, but just seems to have a little bit more of everything.
I'd steer clear of the 'U' model though. Unlacquered horns can be difficult to look after if you're a wet player.

I would never have expected this but I disagree with Stephen. 991 vs 901 is a matter of preference. I will take the 901 rather than the 991. 901 is livlier than the 991 which has a more focussed and centered sound. The 991 has a grain of introspection to it. Go out and test them. A description woń‘t help you much in your decision. Even more choices if you throw in the 902 or 992. They have a slightly broader sound with more mids. The same applies to the follow up models AW02 and AW20. The last time I blew AW01 vs AW02 I left the shop with the AW02. There is a review from Dawkes music on youtube on the differences of brass vs bronce as well as one on 01 vs 10 alto Yanagisawas that might be worth watching.

Alphorn

I would never have expected this but I disagree with Stephen. 991 vs 901 is a matter of preference. I will take the 901 rather than the 991. 901 is livlier than the 991 which has a more focussed and centered sound. The 991 has a grain of introspection to it.
It's much the same with the Yamaha YTS 23 and the 62 - which is why I played a 23 rather than a 62.
But given the choice between the two and no limitations on budget, most players would pick the 62 - perceiving it to be less bright and more full-toned.
Build quality/design is nicer too, ditto the 901/991.

Could it be that not "900u" is meant (I think there was no unlaquered 900 model available), but "900µ"?

This was an upgrade, or should I say kind of inbetween model at the end of the 900 line and before the 901 was introduced.

Could it be that not "900u" is meant (I think there was no unlaquered 900 model available), but "900µ"?

This was an upgrade, or should I say kind of inbetween model at the end of the 900 line and before the 901 was introduced.
Never seen one.
Bit surprised that they went to bother of notating an upgrade - it was probably quite incremental, and that's something they previously tended to do without telling anyone. Hence the confusion at times in trying to pin down model numbers on the earlier horns.

Might it have been a model built for a specific international market?

I would never have expected this but I disagree with Stephen. 991 vs 901 is a matter of preference. I will take the 901 rather than the 991. 901 is livlier than the 991 which has a more focussed and centered sound. The 991 has a grain of introspection to it. Go out and test them. A description woń‘t help you much in your decision. Even more choices if you throw in the 902 or 992. They have a slightly broader sound with more mids. The same applies to the follow up models AW02 and AW20. The last time I blew AW01 vs AW02 I left the shop with the AW02. There is a review from Dawkes music on youtube on the differences of brass vs bronce as well as one on 01 vs 10 alto Yanagisawas that might be worth watching.

Alphorn

Ah, a self-realized horn! What???

Back on topic - Kessler Music has a page dedicated to explaining the differences.

Thing about those introspective saxes: you're going along with the Friday nights at the blues bar thinking everything's great, and all of a sudden they'll up and tell you they want to become a native American cedar flute, go to Big Sur and hang out on a clifftop being played badly by some chick named "Sunrise".

Me and my wife, we've got the introversion all sewn up in this family. I want extroverted saxophones.

So, the 900 Micro (900u); is it smaller than the usual run of horns? Comes only in sopranino, sopranissimo, and sopranississimo varieties.

No 900 Micro bari or bass saxes, sorry, those are the alto and soprano now that they've had the Micronite filter applied.

Back
Top Bottom