All profit supporting   special needs music

M/Pieces - Ligs decent mouthpiece for beginer,£50 to spend

flukeyluke

Locality
hampshire
To be honest, I'm not all that sure I agree with some of what Tom says above. I've never bought the idea that beginners have to start on a narrow tip opening mouthpiece - I certainly didn't when I started on tenor as a callow youth 32 years ago. OK, I would say that a 0.80 mouthpiece is a slightly larger tip opning than would normally be recommended for a beginner, but I just don't accept that it's of a dimension only fit for pros and advanced students. There are so many more factors than tip opening alone in determining how easy a mouthpiece is to play.

What I'd suggest you do is set a target time, say two or three weeks time, and play the sax with your new mouthpiece for at least 20 minutes a day between now and then. Make sure you use a pretty soft reed. If you're still struggling at that time, order a B3 from t'internet. You can get them for about 18 quid. However, I think you'll adapt OK to the B5. The most important thing is just to play the sax. As much as you can. Enjoy it, sax playing's great.

Thanks for your input :) i do love the tone im now getting from my sax and the second practice was much better,im defo keeping this mouthpiece but think i will try a few others too,maybe a yamaha 4c and esprit.

Luke

TomMapfumo

Locality
Skabertawe, South Wales
Hi Luke!

Try Marca Jazz reeds - come in packets of 5. A 2 would be good. Order from Reeds Direct. Alternatively a Rico Jazz Select 2S reed - come in packets of 10.

Hi Jon!

You need to take this issue up with Jody Espina, not me. I was just trying to respond to Luke's concern about playing the Rico B5 and am aware that lots of beginners have found it difficult to start playing. When I started on alto I played a Selmer Super Session E - rated at 0.078" which I found a little tough to play, even though I had been playing a soprano sax for about 8 months with a 0.065" mouthpiece. I would recommend the Rico B3 first, but my Esprit II is my favourite beginner mouthpiece by some way.

Kind regards
Tom

Rico mouthpieces:http://www.rapidreeds.com/rico-alto-saxophone-mouthpiece-graftonite
Bari Esprit II:http://www.ackermanmusic.co.uk/bari-esprit-alto-saxophone-mouthpiece.html

Last edited by a moderator:

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
I tend towards Jon's view, but with a dose of let's not confuse things. I started with a closed tip on tenor, couldn't blow it, got a B5 and used a Rico Royel 1.5 - no problems, worked well. After a couple of reeds I moved up to a 2, and after a few more of those it was 2.5.

I'd suggest learn to play what you've got. Then when you know what you want look again.

flukeyluke

Locality
hampshire
I

I'd suggest learn to play what you've got. Then when you know what you want look again.

yes i think i am going to stick with this mouthpiece now and consintrait (or however you spell it lol) on just learning to play the sax,im happy with the sound and im sure ill get better with it :)

thanks everyone

Luke

TomMapfumo

Locality
Skabertawe, South Wales
B5 Tenor is very different from B5 Alto in my opinion, and I am more likely to encourage a beginner to play the tenor over the alto version. I think that many "beginner" size Tenor sax mouthpieces seem very closed, and hard to play, and I find it much easier blowing the alto equivalent, and still getting a loud and more satisfying sound.

I tend towards Jon's view, but with a dose of let's not confuse things. I started with a closed tip on tenor, couldn't blow it, got a B5 and used a Rico Royel 1.5 - no problems, worked well. After a couple of reeds I moved up to a 2, and after a few more of those it was 2.5.

TomMapfumo

Locality
Skabertawe, South Wales
yes i think i am going to stick with this mouthpiece now and consintrait (or however you spell it lol) on just learning to play the sax,im happy with the sound and im sure ill get better with it :)

thanks everyone

Luke

Concentrate - hope that helps!

Kind regards
Tom

Zeus

Locality
Athens
I think that many "beginner" size Tenor sax mouthpieces seem very closed, and hard to play, and I find it much easier blowing the alto equivalent, and still getting a loud and more satisfying sound.

This exactly what happened to me...
Yamaha 4C Tenor was impossible to blow, still is, for the tenor...bought a Selmer 80 C**, and then a Rico Graftonite i think(will check again)...so i bought another mpc, which solved the case, but it is a much wider tip opening, will safekeep it when i am much better with the sax.
On the contrary, the Jupiter 4C starter mpc, of the alto...is the one i keep returning too...so this is so true what Tom says, so when i realized the expensive way, what is good for one alto, may not be as a model number wide and free blowing for a tenor...bigger horn, needs more air, simple explanation i guess.

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom