support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Corton Alto Saxophone

matthew2

Hi there!

I own a Corton alto saxophone which I am now selling, but am unsure of its origin, age and possible resale value. The engraving on the bell reads "Corton Foreign", and underneath the serial number there is an additional engraving which consists of a circle with the letters II. inside it. Could anybody point me in the right direction regarding this? Many thanks.

Yes. Google is your friend - as you'll see if you google corton saxophone, most were made in the former Czechoslovakia. Unless you're very lucky, as the name also cropped up, apparently, on Yanagisawa stencils. Much better. However, most Cortons will be the CZ ones, which were a dominant force in student saxes in the 1970s.

I think this is what is known as Amati these days and comes from the former Eastern Bloc - Czech Republic I think. I learned on a Corton clarinet which served me well ... er nearly 40 years ago.

They
Yes. Google is your friend - as you'll see if you google corton saxophone, most were made in the former Czechoslovakia. Unless you're very lucky, as the name also cropped up, apparently, on Yanagisawa stencils. Much better. However, most Cortons will be the CZ ones, which were a dominant force in student saxes in the 1970s.
I had one 79/80, wasn't bad. Reminds me of a King Super 20 in a way.

Sorry, seemed to have messed my reply up!
Was just saying I had a Corton years back - it always reminds me of a King Super 20 on a budget.
Apologies, have just joined.

Last edited by a moderator:
Corton seems to have been a brand name used by Boosey & Hawkes in the 1960's/70's stenciled on imported instruments and they were mostly made by Amati in Czecoslovakia, as were a lot of Lafleur and Boosey & Hawkes instruments from that era. You'll find many other stencil saxes made by Amati under various names like Lignatone and Musica
Amati are still making instruments - Výroba hudebních dechových nástrojů | AMATI
I see that Dawkes still have some spare parts in stock for old Cortons -
Amati

If it's not working, just knock. If a large man, smoking a roll up and wearing a string vest and bowler hat answers, it's the wrong door. Don't give him any money.
Lol, you have perfectly described the Band On The Wall as it was (Swan st, Manchester) 70s, early 80s. A peephole in the door would slide back and you would be awarded entry. Steve Morris, who owned the club would let you in for free, if you were a SEN/SRN nurse - or a non Tory voter...
I have great memories of this place - it got me into jazz and my interest in saxophones!

Was just saying I had a Corton years back - it always reminds me of a King Super 20 on a budget.
King Musical Instruments Inc (Eastlake) sold in the late 70's/early 80's King Lemaire saxes. It's a 100 % Amati stencil. King Super 20 and King Lemaire just had the name "King" in common. Lemaire was one of the persons behind the instrumentmaker "SML" ( Strasser, Marigaux and Lemaire ). King Musical Instruments also sold "King Marigaux" under the same era. I like Amati-Denak saxes. I sometimes plays a Louis Robert (Amati stencil) low A bari. A good Rock & Blues bari. Lot's of power.

Hi there!

I own a Corton alto saxophone which I am now selling, but am unsure of its origin, age and possible resale value. The engraving on the bell reads "Corton Foreign", and underneath the serial number there is an additional engraving which consists of a circle with the letters II. inside it. Could anybody point me in the right direction regarding this? Many thanks.

I bought a new Corton alto around 1980 made in Czechoslovakia.

Last edited by a moderator:
King Musical Instruments Inc (Eastlake) sold in the late 70's/early 80's King Lemaire saxes. It's a 100 % Amati stencil. King Super 20 and King Lemaire just had the name "King" in common. Lemaire was one of the persons behind the instrumentmaker "SML" ( Strasser, Marigaux and Lemaire ). King Musical Instruments also sold "King Marigaux" under the same era. I like Amati-Denak saxes. I sometimes plays a Louis Robert (Amati stencil) low A bari. A good Rock & Blues bari. Lot's of power.

Thanks for that, thom- interesting. Yeah, the alto had a big sound (large bell like the King) which I loved. The keywork was identical to a Super 20 as well. Makes sense after reading your thread.

Corton seems to have been a brand name used by Boosey & Hawkes in the 1960's/70's stenciled on imported instruments and they were mostly made by Amati in Czecoslovakia, as were a lot of Lafleur and Boosey & Hawkes instruments from that era.

Corton was the brand name of instruments sold by Rosetti (a general musical instrument distributor). Boosey's stencil name was Lafleur.
Lewingtons were pushing the (Chinese) Lark/Parrot and Barnes & Mullins had the Champion (East German).

Corton was the brand name of instruments sold by Rosetti (a general musical instrument distributor). Boosey's stencil name was Lafleur.
Lewingtons were pushing the (Chinese) Lark/Parrot and Barnes & Mullins had the Champion (East German).
Rosetti!!! Aha!! I'm glad someone knew who it was, google wasn't giving me any info on Corton except that they were made by Amati

@Stephen Howard Thank you for clarifying that. I knew my lafleur was identical to a corton and both were made by amati but couldn't work out the relationship. o_O

"Lignatone", "Musica", "King Lemaire" (King Musical Instruments Inc, USA), "Louis Robert", "Corton", "Lafleur", "Powertone", "Keilwerth Student Model" (Julius Keilwerth, Nauheim, West-Germany) ...... are all saxes that were made by Amati-Denak, Kraslice, Czech Republic (former Czecoslovakia). Most of these saxes are the "Super Classic" model (c 1972-1990) but also "Classic" model (c1955-1972) and "Classic Deluxe" (c 1972-1990, improved model, just alto and tenor) were Amati stencils that reached the market. Back in the 70's when the saxophone became popular again in contemporary music the east european manufactors had a big role: To provide the young saxophonists with saxes! The saxophone manufactoring world changed in the 70's. Yamaha's knocked out "the old world". Ok , it was also bad leadership and bad finance as well that forced many manufactors to throw in the towel. As I already wrote, I sometimes play a Louis Robert (Amati) low A baritone. A beefy baritone that it's a good Rock bari. It's not my bari. The owner bought a Corton Deluxe bari (Yani stencil, based on the B6 model). But when it comes to blow the heavy bari lines in soul, rock , blues ... the Amaiti is doing a better job. ;)

Back
Top Bottom