• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Saxophones Conn alto age

I'm not sure about this but I 've been told that a "M" before serial number indicated that it was a Conn saxophone. It was back in the 20's, 30's, 40's ..... . It was connected to the model numbers 6-M, 10M. 12M ..... . The letter "O" could be mistaken for a "0". Maybe I got wrong info????
In Conn instruments the “M” was a designation for saxophone. 6M, 8M, 10M, 14M, 16M etc. Letters as prefix in front of serial numbers started in 1960’s best I know of.
 
Ok, I finally am putting up a pic of the serial number. There is no letter before the numbers, so I'm pretty sure that JayneNM had it called. I seem to remember something I heard about that time frame with Conn and Vito . It does have "Conn" and shooting stars on the bell.
I am enjoying all the discussion on serial number markings. Thanks to all.
20260926_135342.webp
 
In Conn instruments the “M” was a designation for saxophone. 6M, 8M, 10M, 14M, 16M etc. Letters as prefix in front of serial numbers started in 1960’s best I know of.
I have a vague recollection that one of my Conns from the 40s had an M prefix. Heck, it might be one that I own now. I'll look when I get home, if I can remember it long enough.
 
I'm not sure about this but I 've been told that a "M" before serial number indicated that it was a Conn saxophone. It was back in the 20's, 30's, 40's ..... . It was connected to the model numbers 6-M, 10M. 12M ..... . The letter "O" could be mistaken for a "0". Maybe I got wrong info????
"M" as a partial model designator was stamped before the serial number from ~1924 until mid-1938 when they started stamping the full model number on standard saxes.

Letter prefixes as part of the serial number proper started when they reached "a million" at the end of 1962. C, E, H, K, L, M, N - why some letters were skipped, nobody knows.
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,265
Messages
576,208
Members
8,084
Latest member
Richard Walker
Back
Top Bottom