support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Conn 6m crook

Plod

Locality
Sanderstead (posh end of Croydon)
Season's Greeting to you all, I am currently looking to purchase a Conn 6m Alto with a 269xxx serial Number, I believe this puts it around 1935/36.

My query is it has the underslung octave key but no Micro tuner? Did Conn make these early 6M's without a Micro tuner or has this Sax been 'altered' ? Calling all Conn experts (not the false representation kind ) many thanks Glyn

Season's Greeting to you all, I am currently looking to purchase a Conn 6m Alto with a 269xxx serial Number, I believe this puts it around 1935/36.

My query is it has the underslung octave key but no Micro tuner? Did Conn make these early 6M's without a Micro tuner or has this Sax been 'altered' ? Calling all Conn experts (not the false representation kind ) many thanks Glyn

Hi Glyn,

its not uncommon to see crooks on 6M's without the microtuner. and its not uncommon to see them with the overslung octave mech (so called "New York style")

If you look here http://www.saxpics.com/?v=mod&modID=45 there's mention that the microtuner was no longer fitted to crooks after 1954!

Some owners had the microtuners removed as they were deemed to be too much hassle - if maintained correctly however,they work well IMHO. If the one you are looking at doesn't have the micro tuner I wouldnt be too bothered particularly if you want to play it as opposed to sticking it in a cabinet and looking at it!

I would be more concerned if the sax needed a repad than if the micro tuner was missing!

good luck and let us know how you get on.

Griff, Many thanks for the info and advice, the vendor sent me 12 really detailed photographs of the instrument and case, which included a close up of the rather new looking Gordon Beeson pads so hopefully no probs there. If the condition of the original 'Art Deco' case is anything to go by, I would suggest its either been very well looked after, or not done alot.

As I have to cough up £40 for the train ticket to go see/try and possibly purchase, I needed some independant advice to convince me that I was doing the right thing, so thanks again, Happy and Heathy New Year. Glyn

Hi Griff,

I have a 6m alto Conn, so that link is great for me to check out.

My Alto which I got (26years ago) I thought was around 1935. The number is M259859A.
It has the underslung octave key and the bell keys on the left side.
My microtuner still works after I freed it a couple of years ago!

It also has an A stamped above the number and an M stamped below the number.

I paid $125NZ and another $125 to get it re-paded as it wasn't in playing condition.
I will never sell this horn it's travelled the world with me busking in America, Australia, Europe & Japan.

Best of luck with your search for a 6m Naked lady, Glyn.
I have tried more modern Conns and the ergonimics (for me are horrible)

Cheers & Ciao
Jimu

Last edited by a moderator: