support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Complaining neighbour

May I thank you all for commenting on my post . I will take on board some of the good advice given . I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone for staying in and protecting NHS and saving lives . Despite any disputes we have I want every one to stay safe , even neighbours we don’t get on with . Please don‘t forget to donate money to this CAFE and particularly to SAINT FRANCIS HOSPICE in Essex , where my father lost his battle to cancer last year . Only donate what you can afford . Also the poor musicians to whom give joy to people and unable to earn any money , Jo x

Had a next door neighbour who played his stereo loud enough to drown out my tv. What he did not know was that I had a large p.a. system. Played some thing with heavey bass then gradually
Turned it up to match his volume. He turned his up. When he reched his max,,, I turned mine up to it's 400 watts for about 10 seconds ... never heard his stereo again . Result .

When I lived in Puerto de la Cruz the area I lived basically shut down during siesta 1.30 until the back of 4 and so you were pretty well able to be as loud as you wanted before and after Siesta and up till about baby bedtime. 8 30 ish
By far the most comments I would get would be positive and that was living in large apartment block tiled throughout floors walls ceilings.
Play to your strengths and include favorite pieces in your practice. Folky numbers, in my case Latino ballads such as Black orphius, Cuando Cuando, Be same mucho. Lol

It takes balls to hold your own in these scenarios especially when you know that you don't sound great. I always suggest I won't get any better if I don't practice.
Lol, but truth is that playing has a shelf life and deteriorates if not maintained.
I have a strong suspicion that neighbor disputes often are motivated by other issues such as envy and jealousy and that noise issues "including" music is simply one of the triggers.
It's tricky but probably the less You think you are noise polluting the less you are. If you get one complaint work with it. If you get 3 or more then get a new place, get quieter get better lol.

Just a slight issue with that, under the present circumstances..
...perhaps even capturing it on video, would achieve same result. Or a conference call between you, neighbor, councilmember. Where neighbor is required to participate.
Loops are good for practice. Play along with the music. Either they stop it to deny you the fun, or you get more practice out of it.
An absolutely brilliant idea !!!

Last edited:
I appreciate that you don't have any contact with your neighbour (or rather he with you), but might there be a reason that your practice times annoy him? Does he work nights for example? Granted his response is OTT, but if any sort of dialogue can ever be established, is there the possibility of compromise?

OTOH he may just be a Wayne Anchor ...

Maybe this is just the NY'er in me....but I think,

1) given the neighbor actually did not approach you directly and instead whined to the council

2) afterwards decided to pull the 'crank up the stereo' thing....

...this, mates, is war now.

I appreciate those who are suggesting or searching for more moderate resolutions (although I gotta say 'find a separate practice space' isn't one of 'em unless one wishes to set a nice precedent which said neighbor will likely gladly exploit in future).
But sometimes a spade is a spade.

The situation is OP is within his tenant rights, this was confirmed by council. As noted by others, I am pretty certain the neighbor is NOT within the tenant rules with what he is doing. So, time to raise it with council.
Reasoning is not something which interests him, or perhaps something which he is incapable of. Although the latter may elicit some sympathy, it doesn't change the likely fact that he is 'breaking the rules', and those rules do have a regulatory body in this instance.

The 'we don't want this to escalate' argument, while valid in many cirucmstances...is also water under the bridge at this point. It already has escalated.

Again, not to be cold, but....

Try practicing my baritone part ..>:) for a couple of hours dont forget to include repeats
20200406_153309.jpg

The 'we don't want this to escalate' argument, while valid in many cirucmstances...is also water under the bridge at this point. It already has escalated.

A friend disappeared off Facebook last August. At first it didn't seem to be anything unusual but after a while they still hadn't come back. Eventually I found out that they'd had their head staved in with a shovel by a neighbour they were having issues with. That person has since been found guilty of murder.

You only escalate something if you have the ability to deal with the consequences.

A friend disappeared off Facebook last August. At first it didn't seem to be anything unusual but after a while they still hadn't come back. Eventually I found out that they'd had their head staved in with a shovel by a neighbour they were having issues with. That person has since been found guilty of murder.

You only escalate something if you have the ability to deal with the consequences.
You also don't use extreme, extreme, extreme outliers as a basis for making rational decisions....