support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

coffee, sax, company, what else?

xcal

yeah, I'm working on my skills:)

Hi,

I played a recorder in primary school, almost 25yrs ago. gave it up when went to high school and forgot all about it. I've always loved the sound of a sax in any piece of music and wanted to play the Star Wars 'March of the Emperor' theme. so, I watched a million movies this past december holiday and ended it with a marathon Star Wars session...original IV to VI in the first weeked of Jan, back to work, then the new I to III in the next weekend and suddenly decided at about 2am to Just Do It. I researched, haggled with the wife, haggled with the music shops and suddenly owned a cheap@$$ Mason Tenor Sax on the evening of 18 January. An evening that changed my life...I now have no time to road-running, no time to play PC games, I actually go and meet people in the park to jam...yeah, I'm awful, but my friends love me anyway!

My teacher gave me a great piece of advice: go and find a Sax player you like, find out who he listened to, find out who *they* listened to and listen to loads of all of them. Needless to say, I'm suddenly loving jazz!!!

It sounds like a very good start!
But I don't think there is any available saxophone chair in the National Stormtrooper Orchestra.

Big welcome from me.

Have to admit that the Darth Vader theme is banned in my house - too close a rip of of a certain funeral march...

I could not find an easy youtube link, but i think in the second act of the Manon Lescaut there is an interesting mute chorus.

Hi xcal!

A Big Welcome to the Cafe from the Skabertawe Horn Section down by yer in Wales, mind! Never watched a Star Wars Movie ever but am a little more keen on jazz - especially the North European scene, including Jan Garbarek, Nils Petter Molvaer and many others.
Good luck with getting to grips with your new sax and look forward to hearing about your journey to the centre of music!

Kind regards
Tom

Welcome.

I think you'll find that John Williams "owes a debt of gratitude" to Erich Korngold (really great composer - should have been the successor to Mahler, but left Germany for Hollywood and wrote scores to classic Erol Flynn movies). Try this to see what I mean.

Welcome.

I think you'll find that John Williams "owes a debt of gratitude" to Erich Korngold (really great composer - should have been the successor to Mahler, but left Germany for Hollywood and wrote scores to classic Erol Flynn movies). Try this to see what I mean.

And Bruckner and Dvorak and so on. I went crazy today to find that particular Puccini. Maybe someone might help.

This is awesome, I pop in to say 'hello' and I get an education:thumb:

By the way, I'm from the east coast of South Africa, and been settled in Joburg for a number of years.

Howzit?

I was trying to figure out how long I've been playing a saxophone, and found this thread in my gmail box:) It's now close to 5 years and 2 saxes later. still loving it. my friends still love me (the same ones!!!), and sometimes my audience loves my music (this still surprizes me). I ditched that teacher by mid-march 2012(after 5 weeks of hit or miss classes) and couldn't find another one so moved to youtube for my "lessons"...been crazy, but I learnt a $#%load about myself and my learning style.

Coffee, sax, company, what else?
not true anymore:( I found that I cannot do without a backup reed in my car, one in each of my fav jackets, one in my wife's car, one in my laptop back, a handful in my music bag, one in my "jazz hat", one in my parents home (500 miles away), one in my friends guitar case, one in my other friends guitar case, and a few more here 'n there.

I put on HUGE amounts of weight over the years coz I stopped running so seriously, then I lost a huge amount of weight in 2016 because I HAD to start running seriously again, and I found a working mis-balance between Sax and Pc-games:)

xcal

Coffee, sax, company, what else?
not true anymore:( I found that I cannot do without a backup reed in my car, one in each of my fav jackets, one in my wife's car, one in my laptop back, a handful in my music bag, one in my "jazz hat", one in my parents home (500 miles away), one in my friends guitar case, one in my other friends guitar case, and a few more here 'n there.

Then the sax turned around, looked at you and said "I'm your ..."*

Welcome back. Your café turned cold, but we can always make another one so that you stay with us a while longer.

Funny what you say about reeds. I use reed cases most of the time, but I still tend to add a backup reed in my pocket occasionally.

* Wrongfully quoted from Starwars, or so I'm told.

Back
Top Bottom