• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Beginner Saxes Clariphones and chalumeaus/x....guide me

Becca

New Member
Messages
2
Location
United Kingdom
Hello everyone. I'm keen to get either a clariphone or a chalumeau as a somewhat simpler way to get some of the satisfaction of sax/clarinet playing (forgive me, you real sax-players). I did use to play the clarinet to around Grade 5.

But...I'm confused about what to choose and then what music I can get for my choice. I seem to be veering from the Sans Clariphone (2.5 octaves) to the Tupian CU3 chalumeau, which has three double holes and is overblowable to get 15 tones. There's also a Sans chalumeau pro, which adds keys to increase the range.

Ideally, it should be simple-ish to play, music should be readily available and the tone should be warm and deep rather than recorder-like. Believe me, I know how many toes I'm steeping on here and how many hairs I'm making standing on end!

Any advice would be gratefully and humbly received.
 
I had to Google what these were. Having looked at a few videos on Youtube they obviously share far more with a recorder with their fingering, including some half-holing. Being pitched in one key, also like recorders, limits what you can play somewhat.
It wouldn't take much more practice in order to match the capabilities of the Chalumeau or Clariphone on a Clarinet. You can stay in the Chalumeau register of the Clarinet should you wish, but the instrument still has all of its abilities should you wish to put more work into it.

They're not expensive either.
 
Hi and welcome.

Do you have a reason for not trying an alto saxophone?
As far as fingering is concerned, the saxophone is the easiest instrument I know - far simpler than a clarinet.

At the same time, I can understand that someone wants a smaller, cheaper instrument that a saxophone.

Definitely not as much fun! 😉
 
The alto sax is lovely, but I'd really like to keep things as simple and portable as possible.

I see your campfire avatar so maybe you want to play outdoors. I played tenor by a campfire this year (a Scottish Peace Camp)... the tenor was a bit too present for the ambience but I've played alto in outdoor locales around the world and soprano or sopranino would also fit the bill

If you're walking with a rucksack of stuff then sopranino is the lightest. It doesn't sound like a recorder. Sax music is readily available.

Just ask @Wade Cornell

But if you want to keep weight in tens of grams and/or play in the rain then those reeded recorders you've mentioned would do better... as would a recorder... or penny whistle... or a quena which I have backpacked with on three continents
 
I had to Google what these were. Having looked at a few videos on Youtube they obviously share far more with a recorder with their fingering, including some half-holing
And my experience is that once you've played a saxophone or clarinet, recorder fingerings are absolutely horrible. I had a bit of a dalliance with recorders a couple of years ago, but just couldn't get into it. Ended up wondering how I ever put up with it as a ten-year-old.
 
Years ago, I taught for Staffordshire Music Service and every Friday was spent as part of a small ensemble that would give three 50min concerts to infant or junior schools. We did two in the morning, had a pub lunch and then did one in the afternoon.

there were 17 ensembles I think, with various instrumentation etc. Mine was 3 strings and 3 woodwind. We did a music through time theme and started with us all playing the recorder. I never started my musical life on recorder and it made no sense to me. I still have no idea which size is in which key and what the fingerings are. We played Baroque pieces and my fellow musicians would snigger at me improvising inner lines as I had no idea. I still have no idea. No inclination is also predominant.
 
We did a music through time theme and started with us all playing the recorder. I never started my musical life on recorder and it made no sense to me. I still have no idea which size is in which key and what the fingerings are. We played Baroque pieces and my fellow musicians would snigger at me improvising inner lines as I had no idea.
... I may be alone in enjoying the Four Seasons on recorder. A Danish recorder virtuoso performed in North Devon circa 1986. Using four recorder sizes she nailed the concertos. It was an eye (and ear) opener
 
... I may be alone in enjoying the Four Seasons on recorder. A Danish recorder virtuoso performed in North Devon circa 1986. Using four recorder sizes she nailed the concertos. It was an eye (and ear) opener
We’re not talking concertos here though.
 
When I was beginning to get the urge to play saxophone, I got a Xaphoon, in the belief that it would be a cheaper version to get started on. This was a mistake - it didn't sound satisfying to me, and the fingerings were different.

My feeling is: if you want to play recorder then get a recorder, and if you want to play saxophone or clarinet then get a saxophone or clarinet, but don't bother with the instruments that are halfway in-between.
 
When I was beginning to get the urge to play saxophone, I got a Xaphoon, in the belief that it would be a cheaper version to get started on. This was a mistake - it didn't sound satisfying to me, and the fingerings were different.

My feeling is: if you want to play recorder then get a recorder, and if you want to play saxophone or clarinet then get a saxophone or clarinet, but don't bother with the instruments that are halfway in-between.
To be precise and also festive, I wanted to say that I agree - with bells on, but that choice isn’t here in the ratings
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,263
Messages
576,100
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom