support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Chords for Manha de Carnival

visionari1

I've started learning by ear Manha de Carnival the version with Dexter Gordon. It's a fantastic version ( also called, A day in the life of a Fool) This is my first attempt at just following it by ear. I'm writing down the pitches & matching them and putting into the transcribe programme which is doing great things for my ears/fingers connection on the sax.
It really is fun to figure out the notes and copy exactly phrases and is opening new doors for musicality and enjoyment.
My question is does anyone have the chords?... My first two notes are, (on alto) low E up to C.
Without the chords (or even the key of the tune) I get lost when it comes to the solo section!

I'm told the first transcription is the hardest then it gets easier!*

Last edited by a moderator:
The tune's in the new realbook 2. It's in Bb.

Gm|Am7b5 D7 |Gm|Am7b5 D7|
Gm|Cm7 F7|Bbmaj7Fm7Bb7|G7b9|
Cm7|F7|bbmaj7Fm7Bb7|Ebmaj7|
Am7b5|D7|Gm7|Am7b5D7||

Thats the A sec First notes D then Bb then A then G

If you would like all the leadsheet let me know

Chris

One of my very favourite tunes. Check out the recorded versions by Jim Tomlinson and by Arne Domnerus, both of which are great.

Here's Jim Tomlinson's recording (which has also been transcribed by Curtis Swift of Saxsolos.com):

The backing track from Jazzbacks is pretty good.

Rhys

Hi Chris,
Yup Dexter has got that X factor in his playing. The version I'm copying starts with 2 bars bossa beats on the drums then adds 4 bars of piano till Dexter comes in.....I really like his solo on this version.....quite a stretch to learn the whole solo, but already I feel the benefits, in the fingers and ears!
:welldone
Thanks again for the backing tracks and info!
Ciao

Thanks Rhys,
:welldone
I certainly agree. a lovely rendition. not heard of Jim Tomlinson, where's he from then?

He's a Brit and he's married to the singer Stacey Kent. Have a look at his website here: http://www.jimtomlinson.net/home_page.htm

I haven't seen him play live but would really like to. He's obviously listened to a lot of Stan Getz !

And here is some biographical information from his website:

Perhaps best known for his work as the compelling counter-voice to singer and wife, Stacey Kent, Jim Tomlinson is increasingly recognised as a distinctive saxophone voice in his own right. The release of his debut album as leader, Only Trust Your Heart (Candid 2000), was greeted with enthusiastic and universal acclaim. His follow up CD, Brazilian Sketches (2003), was named Jazz CD Of The Week by the Observer newspaper in the UK.

Tomlinson did not study music formally until well into his 20s. He played saxophone and ran a band as a hobby whilst studying for his degree in Politics, Philosophy and Economics at University College, Oxford. It was only after graduating and finding himself drawn to London’s jazz scene that he enrolled at the Guildhall School Of Music in 1990. It was at the Guildhall that his musical and romantic relationship with Stacey blossomed.

Since then, Tomlinson has worked in a wide variety of groups, from Brian Ferry to experimental big band composer, Michael Garrick. His own quartet has appeared at clubs and festivals across Europe. Most recently, he has toured almost exclusively with Stacey in Europe, USA and the Far East, reserving time to perform in a quintet dedicated to the music of Lester Young with fellow saxophonist and Guildhall graduate, Mark Crooks.

Rhys