support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Cheap Bari MP - What's best so as not to put me off Bari upon first blow?

Tip openings as found in the web in mm
Yani 5 = 2.11
Yani 6 = 2.21
Yamaha 5c = 2.1
You are in the same ballpark with these mouthpieces.

Yanagisawa mouthpieces are way underrated just because they come as stock mouthpieces with their saxophones. Over at SOTW right now somebody sells the Yani mp, never played, that came with his BW01 for 75 $. That‘s a steal considering quality, playability and sound. There is a reason why they cost 226 £ at sax.co.uk when bought separate.

Alphorn

Last edited:
Rico Graftonite MPs are fantastic pieces that are highly under-rated. The bari and soprano pieces are the best. The $30 Graftonite I have does everything my vintage $700+ Berg does, and sounds nearly identical to my ear.

However, whereas the Berg has a tendency to get "brittle" when pushed too hard, the Graftonite has no problem with large amounts of air. It doesn't crack notes at FFFF.

Someone has also mentioned the Metalite. They can be a bit much, and don't fit in with too many bands. Our former bari player in our Big Band played his lovely 5 digit Mark VI with a Metalite and it sounded like a chain saw. It was pretty awful. I used to use my Metalite on my Mark VI in a rock band. Worked great for that.

These sleeper pieces though, are hard to beat. Don't forget, they were designed by Arnold Brilhardt. The man knew a thing or two about MPs. ;)

It really depends on the player. Realistically, I would say the B7 is likely the best option, but then I have been playing bari for 25+ years. It is my main horn.

I suspect a B5 will be to small a tip opening for anyone who has played saxophone for any length of time. Even if just switching to bari, it will be too constrictive.

Heyo,
I've played a V16 B7 for quite a long time on my Yani 990. In my opinion it's a great MPC.
3 years ago I went to a Retro Revival Larsen "Copy", a 110/2. I'm playing the same reed strenght (Woodstone 3 as long as I could to afford it, now D'Addario Jazz 3M unfiled).
The B7 is a very good all-around-piece, you could use it for quartet or BB work.
Another thing is that the B7 worked pretty well with Forestone MH or Legere 2,75 synthetic reeds for me.
I wouldn't go neither for the B5 nor the B9, the B7 is just right.

Cheers, Guenne

Last edited:
Tip openings as found in the web in mm
Yani 5 = 2.11
Yani 6 = 2.21
Yamaha 5c = 2.1
You are in the same ballpark with these mouthpieces.

Yanagisawa mouthpieces are way underrated just because they come as stock mouthpieces with their saxophones. Over at SOTW right now somebody sells the Yani mp, never played, that came with his BW01 for 75 $. That‘s a steal considering quality, playability and sound. There is a reason why they cost 226 £ at sax.co.uk when bought separate.

Alphorn
I agree. I don't like hard rubber as material, but the Yanagisawa pieces are excellent. I would get a size 7 though.

@Guenne
That was about Rico Graftonite B5 vs B7 not Vandoren V16.

I am not qualified up against somebody playing bari for 25+ years, but still the Graftonite B7 was the most boring mouthpiece I encountered. It played well but tastes are obviously different.

Alphorn

What the heck. At the price they are, buy a Rico M7 and a B7 (both good mouthpieces) play them for a while and see how you go. I have both, just depends on the mood. (my mood is usually m7 :cool: ). If you then want to sell them, you won't loose much.

I am not qualified up against somebody playing bari for 25+ years, but still the Graftonite B7 was the most boring mouthpiece I encountered. It played well but tastes are obviously different.
Ha, sorry.
One should read the whole thread. I wondered about "cheap".
Oops....

Your idea of how a baritone should sound is what will keep you playing it. After considering all these suggestions bear in mind that's what they are.
Your idea and your physiognomy are unique to you. What gives you pleasure is what matters.
The cheapest anything is the one you already own. ;)

@Guenne
That was about Rico Graftonite B5 vs B7 not Vandoren V16.

Alphorn
I don't use it as my main piece, I use a Durga. However, the OP was looking for an inexpensive piece that plays really well. The Rico pieces do that, and as the sound clips posted show, both the Graftonite and the Metalite get the job done.

No MP is going to be perfect for everyone. If push comes to shove, I would still choose my Berg over the Ricos in the types of venues I play these days. But back when I got them, I played with rock bands and totally electrically. The nuances of the vintage Berg were lost, and my gear was not always under my control. I didn't want some roady damaging my expensive vintage MP for not.

That being said, the Ricos still outplay many pieces that cost 10Xs more. That's all I'm saying. YMMV, and in this case, obviously does.
What the heck. At the price they are, buy a Rico M7 and a B7 (both good mouthpieces) play them for a while and see how you go. I have both, just depends on the mood. (my mood is usually m7 :cool: ). If you then want to sell them, you won't loose much.

+1. Couldn't agree more. They are great all-around versatile pieces that will cover a player over almost all style and genres of music.

Last edited:
Seems like the best option is to try the Yany first. But before that I need to get the MkVII playable.

Matt at Sheward-MIR is away until the end of the week so I plan to clean it up a little (so he doesn't have to waste time doing that) and get all the polish residue off it before I take it over to Matt in a few weeks.

Ah, thought it had already been checked over. I‘ll keep fingers crossed that your Bari will be fun once it is back in your hands. It will need more air than you are used to, but it rewards you with a lot of fun. If you need some funky inspiration, listen to Roger Lewis from The Dirty Dozen Brass Band

around 14:40 min
View: https://youtu.be/gxo3ZK_lwe4

or a full set around 11:30
View: https://youtu.be/UEbbN9lj7E8

And no, I can‘t play like that, but still fun to listen

Alphorn

What the heck. At the price they are, buy a Rico M7 and a B7 (both good mouthpieces) play them for a while and see how you go.
I did exactly that when I got my baritone. I had an M5 for a bit as well. Easily my favourite was the M7 (Graftonite/B was a bit too polite for my taste), so I got rid of the others. I bought a PPT when one came up used at a good price (I'd borrowed one in a pass-round before and liked it), and although I do prefer the PPT and use it most of the time, the M7 is still a good piece for an aggressive sound.

I have the stock mouthpiece that came with my Thomann. It is plastic but surprisingly playable. Not that I would argue it is great by any stretch, but I played it for a while. I would be happy to send it at the cost of shipping to anyone in need.

My first bari piece was a metal link I found for a great price on ebay. It plays really well! Now I have a Lawton 7*B which has a lot more power, more appropriate for most of the playing I do on bari (section work in funk/soul bands).

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom