support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner carrying on from big b post

eb424

right let the madness begin... hope you're all well, its regarding a bottom c. I have owned various tenor saxes and love vintage... why oh why can i play a fluent bottom c on some and have to stop and take a breath prior to blowing on others its fine its driving me insane.... Have a beusher big b and love it havent played her that much but i have to almost stop playing and take a fresh breath of air before hitting the note.. a royal pain in the butt on stranger on the shore... I have also had some saxes where i can just flow with it (if that makes sense). My question is whilst i am very new (2 years in) would i be better of keeping the beuscher as my long term sax and putting it away and getting a yanni or persevere on the big b? will it come with time and practice or are some sax bores just different and harder, is it a reed thing and dont get me started on mouthpieces.. help...:confused2:

If I understand what you are saying, you have a Yani and a Buescher .
It is easier to play a low C on the Yani....

It could well be that the buescher has a leak.

Lots of folks try vintage saxes and discount them as “ they are more difficult to blow”.
When in fact the problem is not inherent to the sax. it is simply that the sax is playing on very old pads, and there are leaks all over the place.

Can you get it to someone who knows what is what, and can assess it for you.

hi thanks for the replies.. its as brand new as a big b can b..lol.. complete overhaul and all new pads even relaquered..( I know it was done when i bought her lol)... the note is there its just me reaching it, .. I was just wondering if it is harder on some saxes than others and will come with time or if while learning tone is less important and getting the notes easily and quickly should take priority.. thanks again

its as brand new as a big b can b..lol.. complete overhaul and all new pads even relacquered..(

It can still have a leak. A leak is what you seem to be describing so it's worth getting it checked before making any rash decisions.I'm surprised anyone would relacquer a Big B these days.

I think the relaquer was done some time ago... i'll get it checked when the shops are open again.. and thanks for the replies.. Eddie
Well that is not so relevant, it was more of an aside. But when you said as new as can be, that implied the overhaul was very recent. Which is still not totally relevant to the horn being leak free. Things can sometimes go very slightly out of whack. The smallest leak at a pad, or at the body/bow joint, can affect things.

Thanks Pete i just wondered whether some saxes are renowned for being a bit harder. In my head a nice deep sounding sax may take more breath than a brighter one. i know that i had no trouble on a yam 32 but it seemed brighter than my Hansons which at the time I had trouble with the bottom c.. Seriously can a persons size make a difference on how much air you can put in as NigelD says above to some saxes take more support... the extra depth in some saxes must come from somewhere...

i just wondered whether some saxes are renowned for being a bit harder

I mostly hear of them being easier but all is relative.

However you mention just one note low C - and for me that says 1st step check for a specific leak in that regard

Low C#, B and Bb can mean an out of whack G#|C# link:

Back
Top Bottom