• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Saxophones Carrying a tenor on a (motor)bike?

I never dropped it, maybe I just didn't ride often enough.

I dropped mine wheeling it round the garage, then there's the new girlfriend distracting me from removing the disc lock, the side stand sinking into summer tarmac, Diesel at the roundabout, foot on a dog do at the lights, spring loaded side stands, the old crate that jumped out of gear on a 1 in 4 hill start, touching the front brake on a wet muddy campsite.....a lot can happen in 40 odd years.
 
Perhaps that's where I've got to, that if I don't do it soon, I won't ever do it, and I would be sad about that.

I have done many things in the 'wrong' order, and missed out some things that I really wanted to do, and then some are getting physically beyond me now (I shan't fence again at national level, ice climb at any sensible grade, or do multi-month tundra/wilderness trekking again I don't suppose). So what I can still do I am into getting on with and enjoying.

I would like to carry on doing that for a long time to come, but it needs to be enjoying life for a long time to come, not just remaining about for a long time. If the fun is short-lived, so be it - though I shall take what measures I can to extend it!

Eta: blimey, that was a bit philosophical 😛
Jay, live the way you want to, do the things you want to. There are a couple of things I really wanted to do but didn't make the time for - there was always another year.... I now regret not doing them and will probably never be able to. But in compensation I've done things most people will never do.

Just be aware of the limitations and risks. Older bones break more easily. And bikes require good reactions, coupled with the anticipation that comes partly from good training and mostly from experience. Bike brakes and tyres are an interesting story in the wet for instance. Although I hope they're a lot better now than they were in the early days of Japanese bikes with disk brakes and Japanese tyres.
 
The W800, as Kev says, has really soft power delivery, ideal for a learner or just pottering. It has 10bhp less than the Honda CB500 of the mid 1990s, which most riding schools used for years to teach novices. It also has a low seat height, so you should easily be able to touch the floor. Motorcycle News commented on how easy to handle it is, for novices and experienced riders alike.

I bought a CB500 to run in London in the 1990s, from a shop in Kingston. It had belonged to an older rider, who was 74 when he sold it to the shop. I just assumed he had given up biking, but no, he chopped the 500 in to get a VFR800, which to the non-bikers, is a 160mph sports tourer. Food for thought, Colin? (By the way, that KZ1000 looks like a massive lump!).

I've never broken a bone on a motorbike. On a bicycle, that's another matter. Both wrists, ribs, front teeth. Nasty, dangerous things, bicycles.😉
 
Bike brakes and tyres are an interesting story in the wet for instance. Although I hope they're a lot better now than they were in the early days of Japanese bikes with disk brakes and Japanese tyres.

Now much better than they used to be. Brakes are generally excellent even in the wet, and almost all tyres are vastly better than the old hard compound Japanese ones, which used to grip about as well as windscreen wipers.

Rest to that post is spot on, IMHO, Kev.
 
Can't say Morris Dancing and incest are on my list, lovely though my brothers are! 🙂
Are these your brothers?
naked-morris-dancing.jpg
 
I've never been brave enough to try - I've considered it once or twice. Personally, I just think there are too many reasons why you might come off...

I can remember riding in a side-car in a motorcycle combination when I was about 4 or 5, my uncle had one...

I'm with J I fancy an MX5 as a second car - I briefly had one as my car about 20 years ago. Wasn't practical to be my main car so I changed to a Volvo...

Good luck Jay.
 
I'm with J I fancy an MX5 as a second car - I briefly had one as my car about 20 years ago. Wasn't practical to be my main car so I changed to a Volvo...

Go and see Paul Roddison in Sheffield he'll sort you out with a nice Mx5, tell him I sent you 🙂

Must admit I have ridden pillion on a bike a few times and loved it but never hankered after one. I like my comforts 🙂

Jx
 

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,265
Messages
576,202
Members
8,084
Latest member
Richard Walker
Back
Top Bottom