support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Cannonball Tenor?

Silver plated tenor sax purchase or not?

• not a good idea to much work

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never in a million years

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hello. I am seeking to buy a tenor sax. I am new to playing this instrument or another:] I like the sound of the tenor vs the alto... actual like both, but prefer the tenor. I like the look of Silver plated saxes, but am fearful of having to constantly clean it thoroughly to keep it from tarnishing.. Any thoughts on this? Anyone have experience with silver plated?
Also I am seeking a Cannonball Tenor sax. Thoughts on this? Many Thanks, frank

Welcome to Café Sax Frank, why not pop over and say hi on the doorbell forum:)

There have been some discussions re silver saxes so have a look around and I am sure you will soon get some responses.

Jx

PS Frank I am going to delete your first post if you don't mind as it is a duplicate :)

I've got some silver saxes. If the cannonball isn't lacquered a quick once over with a silver cloth will keep it nice. How often just depends on the amount of pollution you have.

I feel that Silver plate so long as its not laquered adds an air of quality to a horn which even gold plate doesn`t , dunno what it is but if its done properly (Yamaha and Yanagisawa are prime examples of top class thick plating) it makes the horn look and feel like its made of solid sterling silver ......

the 62-AG Tenor I have is my first experience with silver plated horns and I`d buy them every time , unlike RAW Brass which can look manky if it doesn`t fester properly and makes your hands smell , Silver plate if neglected takes on that antique silverware look so instead of looking at best like an old relic found in a junkshop (and at worst like something dragged out of the mersey) as RAW Brass does , Silver looks either antique or fresh and shiny depending on if you polish it, no lose scenario .. Also if it`s a cheap job (where the plating is thin) it`ll take on what I call the "Old Buescher look" where there`s as much brass poking through as silver on the horn and I`m sure that there are many here who would love that ! .

I Cringe at the thought of laquered silver plate, I`m sure it doesn`t look as naff as nickel or chrome but you`d never get that "real silver" look to it where it does dark in the hard to get bits and you`d have all the same issues with laquer missing as a brass horn along with that it`s hard to laquer silver properly ..

I think you should go with your heart

I have cannonball alto silver plated bell for 3 years now.. and I cant say I clean it often but it still looks nice..

I have a black nickel Cannonball which looks superb with little or no cleaning.

Cue:

ridgefield20cannonball1.jpg

I couldn't afford the Silver model CB, but went with their Vintage Tenor in Amber Gold Lacquer. It was love at first note.

I have a couple of silver plate saxes neither is lacquered my yani is a bright silver and does tarnish not badly but my rampone is more of a brushed finish it doesn't seem to tarnish as such but just becomes duller but still looks great
with brushed gold inside the bell.

Hello. I am seeking to buy a tenor sax. I am new to playing this instrument or another:] I like the sound of the tenor vs the alto... actual like both, but prefer the tenor. I like the look of Silver plated saxes, but am fearful of having to constantly clean it thoroughly to keep it from tarnishing.. Any thoughts on this? Anyone have experience with silver plated?
Also I am seeking a Cannonball Tenor sax. Thoughts on this? Many Thanks, frank

I own a cannonball tenor saxophone - the Big-Bell 'Stone Series' - steel grey body and silver bell and crook - yes they tarnish very quickly (the original finish is a satin / ice silver on the bell) - but I think they look even better when they are tarnished - make you look and feel like a hard working saxophonist !

I've seen Snake Davis using a very tarnished saxophone (unplated/unlacquered brass/bronze saxophone - I don't think it was a cannonball) but he looked so cool playing it ... but then he is an outstanding musician too.

I keep working on my developing my playing skills and try to help others e.g. http://www.yelp.co.uk/events/birmingham-stirchley-woodwind-group-develop-jazz-and-blues-skills

Regards

Peter

I am fortunate to own a 1929/30 Martin Master "Typewriter" alto saxophone that is silver and in absolutely perfect condition!

I own a cannonball tenor saxophone - the Big-Bell 'Stone Series' - steel grey body and silver bell and crook - yes they tarnish very quickly (the original finish is a satin / ice silver on the bell) - but I think they look even better when they are tarnished - make you look and feel like a hard working saxophonist !

I've seen Snake Davis using a very tarnished saxophone (unplated/unlacquered brass/bronze saxophone - I don't think it was a cannonball) but he looked so cool playing it ... but then he is an outstanding musician too.

I keep working on my developing my playing skills and try to help others e.g. http://www.yelp.co.uk/events/birmingham-stirchley-woodwind-group-develop-jazz-and-blues-skills

Regards

Peter

Snake Davis plays a yani 992 unlacquered, its tarnished and has growth that Smithkline beecham would pay good money for:), but he is undeniably a great player.

Back
Top Bottom