support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Cannonball Gerald Albright Alto Sax & AIZEN NY or JAZZ Master Mouthpiece

Taps Jamzz

Hie

I will be collecting my new Cannonball alto Gerald Albright sax in the next 14 days. It has a silver body and I am requesting tips on keeping it in good condition so that it does not tarnish.

Can anyone give me some clues !!!

Can someone also please tell me if which of the two new AIZEN NY or JAZZ Master Mouthpiece gives a better Jazz sound ?

Thanx

Taps

You'll probably find it's lacquered, so not a lot to do. But if not, wipe it over completely with a soft cloth every time you play it, making sure you leave no fingerprints. A going over every now and again with a silver cloth is all it'll need apart from that. Keep it in its case, helps cut the tarnish down and many people use anti-tarnish papers in their cases for silver saxes.

Never user paste/liquid type silver polishes - they're quite abrasive and can also get into the key mechanism.

I'm jealous your'e getting the sax i want :( information you may already know, Albright uses a Beechler mouthpiece and what a fine sound he produces, one of my favourite players on alto.

As for cleaning i have a silver/gold Hanson alto and all i use is a silver polishing cloth does the trick for me :)

The "NY " is a tad brighter than the "Jazz Master".
The "NY" should be a copy of the great "Meyer NY" but it doesn't sound like a Meyer NY.
The "Jazz Master" is somewhat darker and smoother... if you push it, you can get s Cannonball (Adderley) vibe.

I'm not so experienced with alto Aizens, but I tried manu tenor Aizens: there very good mouthpieces but I have onestly to say there a lot of hype on them (my opinion!).
They are always made very well... but I notices a high variability on the facing work, even between different piece, same model and same tip opening.
I took 3 differente LS 7* (LS is the Slant type model for tenor) they sounded so different between each other.
I can consider this typical for cheap pieces but not for mouthpiece in £225/£250 range.
To me, the facing was too short and they sounded too "dry".

If you are in UK... consider Morgan Fry pieces, or a Vandoren V16 medium chamber (even refaced) or a Drake "NY Jazz" (or Drake "Jazz").

Hi Taps

Welcome to the cafe best of luck with the new sax I really fancied a Cannonball when I was starting out but not many people seemed to stock them in England and now I've got others and will probably never own one now,hope you enjoy yours....John

That's a gorgeous instrument. I've never really got on with altos for some reason but there was one in my local Cannonball stockist that almost made me open my wallet there and then.

How could you possibly not get on with alto's. THEY'RE BEEEUUULTIFUL

Dunno mate, it's a bit of mystery. I've had 3, and none of them has lasted a year before I got rid. Maybe I should have bought that Gerald Albright - at least I could have kept it as an "objet d'arte........"

Well, sorry guys, I don't like silver finish. Should I stumble over THE collector horn of my life, I'd still hesitate. For a new horn, no way ! That sticky shiny stuff.... Could I choose, like @ Rampone, I'd take gold plating all the way. Like Bob Mintzer's MkVI.
Des goûts et des couleurs ....

Can someone also please tell me if which of the two new AIZEN NY or JAZZ Master Mouthpiece gives a better Jazz sound ?

Thanx

Taps

Hi There!

I supposde it all depends on what you mean by a "Jazz sound"? Are there any alto players that you would so describe as having that jazz sound you'd want, or any particular ageof jazz that floats your boat, as it were. I've not played any Aizen mouthpieces and am a little put off by the cost and the info that I have read.

Are you after a classic NY (Meyer type) sound or a classic LA (Gregory type) sound, or something different. I would have thought that you could get a very decent custom mouthpiece to produce the desirable sound you possibly have in your mind.
I've just been listening to recordings of both Aizen mouthpieces on Steve Neffs website and am awarethat the NY sounds quite a bit brighter than the Jazz Master - so depends partly on your preferred sound.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom