support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones C Melody - great sound...

Just had to post this. No reason why a C melody can't sound great.

Impressive, but I don't see the point of putting a wide tip modern mouthpiece on a C-Melody and playing it like a Bb tenor. It just sounds like a slightly funny tenor to me. If you want to sound like a tenor sax, then play a tenor sax.

And here is the C Melody (C - Tenor) played in the style of the period in which it was a popular instrument.

I like this much better - the style seems to match the instrument.

Frankie Trumbauer was a great C-Melody sax player in the 1920's.

Yes I found the sound to have some Tenor traits.
Very different from any C melody I have heard before. I bought one many years ago but never took to it. It was beautiful cosmetically so fortunately I wasn't out of pocket when I moved it on.
However despite the Tenor traits I'm hearing, overall its addling my brain as it goes Nice...wrong..ok...wrong...nice...just wrong....argh!!!!!!!!

Im with Jeanette on this.

I didnt like the sound out of the first guy at all. Sorry Kev

But I very much liked the sound from Johns link. That guy is a really strong player and could probably make anything sound good, but he does capture the idiom just great. Wonderful playing.

I also prefer John's link. Also played on one of the best C-Melodies around from what I've been told (Bueschers and Martins). Mine's a 1923 Martin! But it hasn't been used much lately. :oops:

A couple of years ago I saw a very pretty Buescher C-Melody on Ebay, and I was very tempted, but I was even more tempted by a bari. I have more saxophones (5 1/2) than I can sensibly practice on, so I need a C-melody sax like I need yet another mouthpiece, but I still slightly regret not bidding.

I have more saxophones (5 1/2) than I can sensibly practice on, so I need a C-melody sax like I need yet another mouthpiece, but I still slightly regret not bidding.

Tell us more about that half! Is the other half your better half? :rofl:

Since when having more saxophones than you can sensibly practice is an excuse for not bidding? :rolleyes:

I see my collection of horns like a harem! I have my favorite(s) at a given time and it changes. I love each of them for different reasons... Not necessarily related to their playability. That would be very cold and pragmatic. :D

I should record something with my Bauscher C melody "modernized" after the full overhaul... Sound very, very well, a deep, strong tone.. I love it! Unfortunately for me, admiral fell in love too so she took it and practice every day..
I love the definition about a C melody is a teenager tenor... brillant! ;)

Tell us more about that half! Is the other half your better half? :rofl:

The "half" is a 1920's French soprano sax that needs some new pads. I am planning to replace the pads myself, but haven't got round to it yet. I have an excellent modern soprano, so I need this vintage one even less than I need a C-Melody!

Unfortunately for me, admiral fell in love too so she took it and practice every day..

I'd say there is nothing wrong with that. Unless you're competing for practice time... :eek:

My wife drove me to the garage to pick up my car the other side of town. She left 15 mins before me, but I managed to arrive home 30 mins earlier. Thanks Google! So I jumped on my other tenor (the one that had fewer leaks and fixable ones this morning) to play before she said enough!

But what a relief to play on a leak free horn! I was starting to doubt everything about me on tenor. Embouchure, breathing, tonguing... I couldn't spit the low notes. But tonight I was able to work on 'Desafinado' (Jobim) and 'The summer knows' (Legrand) that didn't come out at all with my regular tenor. So beware of leaks guys. They can kill everything, including your confidence and THAT is a very bad thing!

this was me on Buescher C-melody a few years back :
To me, I seem to sound rather different from above clips

Perhaps different, but a nice sound. Makes me want to get back to my own C-Melody. Although I doubt I'll manage to get a similar sound without committing to it for quite some time.

Back
Top Bottom